What's new

Universal brings the worst part of HD-DVD to Blu =( (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm not a big fan of Universal's U-control. I felt like a monkey in a Pavlovian experiment, where I have to push the button when ever I see a light!

CBS's interactive features on Star Trek were a bit different. You only had to turn them on once and the features would pop up. With Universal you had to push the button every time and if you missed it you would have to go back and try again.

By the way they didn't call it U-control on Star Trek, I believe it was called Starfleet Access.

At least on the Mummy they are including all of the extras from the Special Edition DVD.

Doug

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Can it be left off? If so, then I personally wouldn't be bothered. However, I have an SD DVD copy of Burton's Planet of the Apes that, owing to an incompatibility with my (formerly main) SD player, would always pop up an icon for "break away" extras--it was annoying. Not a problem with my A2, though.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it can be turned off - on HD-DVD, you hit either the A or B button and the icons don't appear at all. It's a nice way to include information that is best presented in context, and is the logical next step in the evolution of the commentary track.

Unreal. I can sort of, barely, kind of understand complaining about combo discs because they had a somewhat higher failure rate, but this continued complaining about too many features is crazy.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I like U-Control and have never really understood the hatred for them. To me the hatred some have expressed in this forum has boarded on the irrational.

I'll also add that I like Universal's Menus style on the HD-DVDs that I have viewed. I hope they use the same style on their Blu-Ray releases.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I liked U-control, I just didn't like that I had to hit the button every time there was some new U-control info, rather than it just popping up when U-control was turned on at the start of the movie.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hope that the U-Control has to be selected from the main menu before the movie starts. I would hate to see a stupid icon on the screen while I am trying to enjoy a movie. I am however jazed that The Mummy, Mummy Returns and Scorpion King are to include a DTS-HD MA track. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
u control is a p.i.t.a.

i dont want features that are only available if i remember to hit a
button WHILE THE FILM IS PLAYING.
the icon is annoying on the screen and if you don't notice that it has offered
a feature then you don't see the feature.

i want to be able to look at the features away from the film too.

allow u control for those who like and offer the features seperately for those who don't.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's a useless feature to me.

But as long as it doesn't fuck up the playback of the feature like those shitty combos I could care less if it's on the disc or not.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't mind having *more* features, but I hate having to sit through the movie to watch the extras. It takes forever!

This is the sort of thing that sounds cool on paper, but isn't all that great in actual practice.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I´m sure, that we all want these Universal (and Paramount/DW) Blu-ray-titles to include all the extras from the older HD DVD-releases? No?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Ah jeez, how did I know that a "I hate U-Control" thread would show up by Sam.
Look, if you don't like it, don't activate it. It's as simple as that. I personally enjoy them. They improved the functionality a lot towards the end of their HD DVD run. You no longer had to push the button to activate the PiP - it did it automatically assuming you turned it on to begin with.
I really enjoyed the ones where they had behind the scenes footage playing that had to do with the scene you were seeing in the movie.
U-Control/Bonus view/PiP Whatever the studios deem to call it; it's here to stay.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's not true Jason, even at the end of the run there were U-Controls that were not autoplay. That was one of my biggest complaints in that there was no consistancy from disk to disk. Sure there was an evolution to the technology but a very select set of them did it mostly right and none of them got it perfect.

Listen, I WANT bonus features. I just dont want to be a monkey that has to pay attention to a VERY small window of time to hit a button to start playback in time to catch the beginning of the clip.

The BEST way they can implement this is to have the clips BOTH individually menu selectable AND available as a feature length fire and forget it. That way everyone wins. If I want to watch a movie then pick and choose which ones to revisit, great. If I want to watch the whole thing a second time through with the bonus stuff playing in line, that's great too. But dont make us hamsters pressing for a pellet.

The next best way is to have them set once and pop up when they are available, all or none. At least you only have to watch the film one more time to see them all and not be on edge waiting to make a choice every 30 seconds.

But if its still set so that you have to make a choice for each one I will bitch about this until the end of time. It's just NOT FUN and not good value for me.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'd like to know what Universal releases had U-Control that didn't autoplay that were releases towards the end of the HD DVD run. All the ones I played from approx Nov 07 (throwing out a date to the best of my recollection; it's possible it was sooner than Nov) to the end were all autoplay. If there was one that I played that didn't do this, I would remember. It is possible there was a movie that I skipped that didn't autoplay and that is why I am asking.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

Let me echo that!! I love all the PIP features available but would have much preferred the option to let it play straight through as opposed to pressing a button each time I wanted to view something.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The complaint is not about too many features. The complaint is about features with badly planned access. There are not enough options to watch the features in a way that is most convenient for the consumer. It sounds like a lot of U-control features are not individually accessible. Universal forces people to engage in a Pavlovian experiment, rather than letting people choose their own path for watching the features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks