Universal: Bad packaging on E.T.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rbirk, Oct 21, 2002.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I got the 2-disc edition recently for E.T. and the content is great. However the package is really not that good. First on the side there is no text or anything to identify the movie. So if you put it in the bookshelf along with the rest of your movies there is no way to tell what movie this is.

Secondly if you put E.T. by itself in the bookshelf it unfolds like an accordion. This is not the way I would expect a nice package to behave. I wish there were a cover that would wrap this package, like some other studios do. Or simply a standard 2-disc case (preferably the thin ones) would have done it very nicely.

Ron Birk

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Disc 1 should've been 2-sided, since there's only printing on the center of the disc anyway.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    You could always label the side or memorize which one it is.
    I'm sure the box set will be harder to identify on shelfs... [​IMG] (excuse me for my sarcasm)
    Everyone's opinion matters, but complaining about packaging really lowers the credibility of this HTF section. There's FAR more important issues like the lack of DTS in the expensive gift set or the online-only special features.
    And using a double sided disc in a keep case would take roughly the same space as this gatefold. There really is no advantage.
    After all...you can ALWAYS put the 2 discs (or 4 discs) into a keep case if you don't like the custom case. Nothing keeps you from doing that. (Yes, even price. You can get cases very cheaply)

4. Rain

Rain Producer

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't think packaging complaints are a problem. We buy these for collecting purposes. If the packaging is poorly designed, it detracts from the value of the product. Yes, there are issues more important than the packaging, but if no one speaks up when some badly implemented design is released, pretty soon we'll be getting DVDs in simple sleeves.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Like Jeff said, if studio start using shoddy packaging, it detracts from the overall value of the DVD. As long as people are respectful in the expression of disappointment in the packaging of some DVD titles, there' no problem with thread like these.
    And for many, dts is a take-it-or-leave-it proposition, so not everyone is going to get on that horse just because some people think it should be have included in the DVD spec from the get-go. [​IMG]

7. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

Rain, are you talking about the 3-disc set? Because my 2-disc set does not have a box or cover. Just a strange accordion-simliar thing that can fit two discs.

Ron Birk

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm just guessing as I haven't seen it yet, but perhaps the Canadian version Rain has is marked on the spine so we all know we are looking at T.E. L'extratérrestrial.

9. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Looks like some folks are having problems with the security stickers wrecking their cases according to The Digital Bits.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i never ever had a problem getting those security stickers off. they peel right off and dont leave any residue.

my disc 1 has something that looks like the moon on it for the person who said his only has something in the middle of the disc.

12. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I was also not to happy with this one. I don't really care for the paperboard cases of any kind, but this one is the worst. I agree if they would have had a slip cover I wouldent have minded it so much.

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The Deluxe Edition does look very nice though, almost as nice as a laserdisc set! [​IMG] Almost makes me wish I'd gotten that instead of the regular version.

16. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Peeling off the security sticker on the top took off the shiny covering from the cardboard, so be careful. Of course, that would not have happened if this was packaged in a standard 2-disc Amaray case.

17. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I'm also very unimpressed with the Panic Room case.
    Surely, DVD keepcases cost next to nothing nowadays... USE THEM. [​IMG]

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'm getting really tired of these cheap looking cardboard cases in general. If they are going to skimp on the packaging then drop the prices to reflect the cheapness of it all.

19. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

This is just a semi educated guess, but the cardboard stuff everyone seems to hate (like ET) many times is more expensive than a keepcase and an insert. Kind of ironic that they're spending more and all they're doing is pissing people off. Of course their goal is to distinguish their release or make it unique.

20. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Today I just received the 2-disc limited collection edition.
    And I have to say, I like the design very much. It's great to have a different type of casing now and then (as long as the size isn't too extravagant) and this special design is very inventive (with the DVD-disc actually used as the - now famous - moon of that movie). Also, I had no problems getting the stickers off, so perhaps I was lucky.

Someone at the studio, or more than one, thought up something nice for us and I wish to start with a "thank you" for that. Really. My whole family loves the look of this package. It's worthy of the movie.

Having said that, I think I want to join those who expressed a wish for an extra (transparent plastic) wrapper. Would make the design somewhat more practical to use.

But, oh come, let's not ask for just another keepcase. There are plenty of those already. We need a sparkle here and there in our lifes.

Sorry, I hate to do something of a thread-fart, but I think a slightly different opinion should be heard in cases like this (-double- pun not intended).

Cees