What's new

Universal Backlot Series of Claudette Colbert titles for November (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
I'll definitely be buying this. I hope we can get a Stanwyck and Veronica Lake set, too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This really needs to be supported. I recall the Carole Lombard and Mae West Collections about five years ago and that was the last we saw of those two stars along with Bing Crosby. I would also like to see the rest of WC Fields.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Sounds like a great set! You can't really go wrong with Claudette Colbert! Now if we could only get more Deanna Durbin or a Barbara Stanwyck set!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Hopefully a lot of lovers of classic movies will support this release. I too would love to see Universal sets come out for Barbara Stanwyck, Veronica Lake, and would love more early Carole Lombard, Cary Grant, and Gary Cooper. Would love to see another pre-code set too!

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
I have already BLUEBEARD'S EIGHT WIFE and NO TIME FOR LOVE from a French and Italian DVD sets respectively, but will gladly blind buy the other 4. Pity I have to wait till November.

Now I'd really like HOLD BACK THE DAWN and TO EACH HIS OWN and a second pre-code set with Miriam Hopkins' films. Pretty please...

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Very excited about this set! They only included one from the pre-code era...hopefully that means they will show up in Pre-Code Hollywood Vol. 2!

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
I’m very excited about this too. Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife is the only one I have seen and it’s a great screwball comedy. I’m looking forward to the others as Claudette was a very good actress and I have liked all the films I’ve seen so far of hers. I agree with jdee28 about getting more early Lombard and Cooper out on dvd. I’d also like to see Clara Bow's talkies that Universal has as she is terribly underrepresented on dvd. I’m so glad Universal is finally letting some of these Paramount films go and I hope they keep ‘em coming!

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
A must-have for me too, and I can only agree with the suggestions others have made.

Come on, Universal -- be bold!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
This is a very welcome - and unexpected - release.

Here's to many more in the future!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
This is a sure fire buy for me. Being a fan of Colbert I'm very happy that this set is being released. What burns me is why ,with all the films of hers still not released,Universal chooses to include The Egg and I instead of a film not yet released.The Egg and i has been out on dvd for years. I would have liked to see them include a yet unreleased film instead. There are so few classic dvd releases from Universal. When they do release something i would hope that they would release new stuff and not double dip. Columbia is doing the same thing with a few of the box sets they are putting out . Unless there is something new being done to the double dipped film i don't see why they do it. I love getting classic films. But when the companies give you no choice on re buying the same movie , it just pisses me off. With that said ,i will still buy the set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
With Sony the previously released Rita Hayworth films in her collection are getting new transfers. But I do agree with you on The Egg and I. I would have liked to have seen another film in it's place. I guess this collection means the Cleopatra release did well.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think Universal is smart to be releasing these. They are filling a much desired niche that not many others studios are filling this year. They have my support with these releases.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor

I think Universal is smart to be releasing these. They are filling a much desired niche that not many others studios are filling this year. They have my support with these releases.
Yes, I will always support classic releases like this on pressed DVDs. Glad to see that Universal and Columbia are still in the classic game.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I am hoping that in my lifetime we will see a nice Universal box set of their four Olsen and Johnson films.
I remember way back in the laser days, they had studio day at a local laser store and the Universal representative said they were interested, but there was a rights problem for Hellzapoppin' Since then, I have heard various stories including Jerry Lewis owning the rights, as well as the guy who played the robot in the Lost in Space series owning some rights to the films. My guess is Hellzapoppin' is the film that is holding everything up. AMC showed a nice transfer of CRAZY HOUSE back in their glory days, but GHOST CATCHERS and SEE MY LAWYER I have only in horrible off the air copies from 16mm.
Of course at this point in time, I am sure the interest is minimal as far as general sales, but I still would like to see a box set. Universal did release Hellzapoppin' in Europe and it was a good, if not, great transfer. I think it showed up on Canadian cable many years back, so I guess the rights issue is USA based.
Maybe we can hope for some of these films when TCM starts showing more of the Universal stuff next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks