What's new

Universal announces dates for new Scarface and Animal House SEs! (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Scarface is one of the most asked about titles where I work. I get so many pissed off people when I tell them its been out of print for a while, and then they make a comment about how stupid they feel for going all over the state before having me tell them the truth.

But Animal House...I LOVE THE TITLE FOR THIS EDITION! One of the greatest names for a special edition DVD ever!
I think I am the only person who found that cool, or the first to vocally say so.

And as for people saying these will be cancelled...and people quoting Scarface, now it is time for animal house! "You will be in and out of this school faster than shit through a goose!"

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I think I'll keep my OOP CE of Animal House...dont really see any need for a reissue there...but Scarface...oh god does it need a restoration! Thank you Universal! Cant wait for Sept. 9...Im guessing it will probably be a 2-disc set given the length of the film...

H

Hank

I can't believe the time has come for Scarface. I'm looking more foward to this than the Indiana Jones Trilogy. I hope Universal really cleans up the print so we get a very nice looking DVD. WOW! :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great news. :)

I'll buy Scarface for sure, but Animal House will need all the deleted scenes before I buy it again.

Gordy

James Reader

Screenwriter
National Lampoon's Animal House: Double Secret Probation Edition
Sadly a whole committee of Marketing Executives will have been paid a fortune to come up with this title.

Can't they put as much effort and money into actually getting stuff out on DVD? Like a Special Edition Frighteners DVD, A widescreen Balto release? A new Babe release... the list is endless?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Can't they put as much effort and money into actually getting stuff out on DVD? Like a Special Edition Frighteners DVD, A widescreen Balto release? A new Babe release... the list is endless?
Well said. As much as I love Animal House ("TOGA! TOGA!") I don't think that we really need a new SE right this minute. The time and money should have been put into, as you say; The Frighteners (even though I'm not a big fan of that film, the fans deserve it so much) or something that isn't on DVD yet.

But Scarface had to be redone. Let's just hope it is truly worth it...

Gordy

James Reader

Screenwriter
Gordy

I'm mainly referring to Universal's sad Marketing led initiatives in order to get people to buy discs for the third time - see the nonsense National Lampoon's Animal House: Double Secret Probation Edition title, or American Pie: Beneath the Crust etc.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
You're right, James - it is a pretty sad state-of-affairs. :frowning:

And not to get hypocritical, but what aboot a new SE of The Thing (1982) with a new anamorphic transfer and all the deleted scenes in anamorphic 2.40:1?! :D

Gordy

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I think Animal House needed a rerelease, seeing as how the first two versions are OOP, and I missed out on both. If they just simply put out the CE again, I would be happy.
But I agree, a 16:9 Thing is a long time coming.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hitting shelves on September 9th is a new 20th Anniversary Edition of the Brian de Palma bloodfest Scarface, starring Al Pacino as the legendary Tony Montana.
I rented the original disc a couple months back and loved the movie. I'm so ready for this SE.Hopefully it has a good DTS and Dolby Digital Track with lots of great extra content. C'mon September hurry up!!:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, there will not be a DTS track on Scarface. It was a three hour movie and bandwidth is an issue here, especially considering Universal doesn't do too many two-disc SE's. A remastered Dolby Digital track will be just fine.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Sadly a whole committee of Marketing Executives will have been paid a fortune to come up with this title.
Lets see, they have give us a

-- Tricked Out Edition
-- Double Secret Probation Edition..

Whats next?

Scarface: The Wigged Out Edition
Breakfast Club: Saturday Detention Edition
The Sting: Aces High Edition
Backdraft: Inferno Edition
Wierd Science: Toaster Included Edition

James Reader

Screenwriter
Lets see, they have give us a

-- Tricked Out Edition
-- Double Secret Probation Edition..

Whats next?
The Breakfast Club: The Don't You Forget About Me Edition
The Mummy: The Back From The Dead Edition
Babe: The Bringing Home The Bacon Edition
Dante's Peak: The Red Hot Edition
The Paper: The Late Edition
Jurassic Park: The Monster Edition
Scent Of A Woman: The HoooHaaahhh Edition

?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'll actually post a compliment to Universal here.

They caught hell from everyone (not just HTFers, either) about their "Ultimate" editions. They never used "Special Edition", since that's what everyone else was using. They got tired of "Collector's Edition", it seems, and wanted to do something different. "Ultimate" didn't work out, since it has a conotation of finality about it that they just didn't anticipate everyone catching to.

So now they're using their imagination and coming up with edition names that at least have something to do with the film. I agree that these names may be a bit too cutesy, and some may agrue that they lean toward the ridiculous.

So what? At least they're trying to be different. Imaginative. Give them some credit for that effort...even if we don't agree with the results.

James Reader

Screenwriter
So what? At least they're trying to be different. Imaginative. Give them some credit for that effort...even if we don't agree with the results.
The point is David, if they didn't do so many re-releases of titles, the name wouldn't be an issue in the first place. It doesn't seem to trouble any other studio (apart from Columbia who use Superbit ;))

What's wrong with a simple Deluxe Edition or the like for these re-rereleases? I don't know for sure, but knowing how large corporations work (meeting after meeting...), it is likely that all these silly names are costing a considerable amount of money to be thought-up, selected and then marketed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks