What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
With the amount of films they are releasing as well as the quarterly schedule, this just sounds like their Backlot series, now being sold exclusively online.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by jdee28

With the amount of films they are releasing as well as the quarterly schedule, this just sounds like their Backlot series, now being sold exclusively online.
That was kind of my thought also. But if it gets regular scheduled releases out, then I am all for it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Garysb

Shipping is pretty expensive even within the US. At TCM its $4.50 for the first disk plus $.50 for each additional disk. I wonder if these films will be available to rent

Now I am thinking that "Remember The Night" looked so bad recently on TCM so that they can say how good the remastered version is. I have the VHS of Remember the Night and it looked fine.
On another thread there was speculation that the Universal fire was responsible for TCM using an old MCA TV print of the film in recent showings.
ClassicFlix sent out an e-mail recently announcing that they would be renting out titles from the first batch of Universals.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My copy of Capt Nemo didn't have vertical lines. I would call and get a replacement. I had to do that with Chained and they were quite easy to deal with. I didn't even have to send back the original copy.

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody receive either the box set or individual titles from the Universal Cult Horror Collection?
If so, how is the print quality and the "special features"? (I put "special features" in quotes cuz I have a sneaking suspicion that the features ain't so special.)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
My box set shipped Friday. Ignorant question: How does one determine progressive or interlaced? (I watch DVDs on a years-old Sony changer, my MacBook Pro, and a pretty new Sony portable.)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

My box set shipped Friday. Ignorant question: How does one determine progressive or interlaced? (I watch DVDs on a years-old Sony changer, my MacBook Pro, and a pretty new Sony portable.)
One way to see if the disc is interlaced would be to play the DVD on your MacBook Pro using VLC media player:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The computer display itself is is a progressive scan device, so when you play a DVD you need the playback software to deinterlace interlaced DVDs. Start the DVD in VLC, but make sure deinterlacing is turned off (Video, Deinterlacing, Off).

If the image is interlaced whenever something in the scene moves quickly you will see the image break into different fields, sort of like this:

If the DVD is progressive, then you won't see separate fields because the picture will just be progressive frames.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Simon Howson

Quote:

One way to see if the disc is interlaced would be to play the DVD on your MacBook Pro using VLC media player:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The computer display itself is is a progressive scan device, so when you play a DVD you need the playback software to deinterlace interlaced DVDs. Start the DVD in VLC, but make sure deinterlacing is turned off (Video, Deinterlacing, Off).

If the image is interlaced whenever something in the scene moves quickly you will see the image break into different fields, sort of like this:

If the DVD is progressive, then you won't see separate fields because the picture will just be progressive frames.
To get a better idea when doing this... if you have the new Sam Fuller Collection... first play the featurettes with Scorsese, etc. and than compare to the actual film itself to notice the jarring difference.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
So, if you freeze frame, interlaced would have jagged cuts in the lines of the picture, progressive would have uncut lines?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I received the UNIVERSAL CULT HORROR COLLECTION yesterday. I watched MURDERS IN THE ZOO and THE MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET. Both had really nice transfers; MURDERS is a gem, and MAD DOCTOR is actually more entertaining than I remember it being(Lionel Atwill and Noble Johnson are great in it). The special features are kinda neat. The picture galleries remind me of those that used to be on the old Universal laserdiscs. According to those in the know, these are DVD-R's, but you would never know it to look at them. They look like regular pressed DVD's without telltale DVD-R marks. My PS3 reads them as regular DVD's, but it did the same with a Warners archive title, so perhaps these new studio manufactured DVD-R's are superior to our home made ones.

Anyway, if you like old time classic horror, I definitely recommend this set.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This is a purely business decision based on diminishing returns. There is no economic sense in going to the trouble of over-pressing, marketing and shipping catalogue titles that will not appeal to the mass-market. Warner's themed box sets have made some rare gems sell very well, but Warner also has the largest library of original and acquired films to exploit.

When I see "The Doberman Gang" on a studio authorized DVD I'll buy it, regardless of DVD-R or silver disc. For now, I'll live with my VHS tape, and no ebay bootlegs. I guess that comparison is just not good enough for some people.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I see from the traking numbers that my set should get here tomorrow or at the latest on Thursday. Anxious to take a look at them.

EDIT - Forget USPO was off today for Veteran's Day so I should get it tomorrow.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I received my Cult Horror set today. I hope to watch at least one of the movies tonight.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Got an e-mail from TCM today: Free Shipping through 11/25 for orders of $50 or more. Which is just too much for the Horror set alone to qualify, but you could add something else (like Remember the Night).

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just ordered this, but went with the regular shipping of $4.50. Didn't see anything that they have that I don't have, except some of the sci-fi. My whole SD/BD/HDDVD is almost sci-fi/horror.

Example, Day of the Triffids, is this the Cheezy Flicks edition.? There are many titles on their site that have never been released by any of the major studios, so are they selling ...so called...PDs...or , or...Google advertisements???

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff

According to those in the know, these are DVD-R's, but you would never know it to look at them. They look like regular pressed DVD's without telltale DVD-R marks. My PS3 reads them as regular DVD's, but it did the same with a Warners archive title, so perhaps these new studio manufactured DVD-R's are superior to our home made ones.

Anyway, if you like old time classic horror, I definitely recommend this set.
I agree. I thought all DVD-R's are purple, but this one looks like a standard DVD without burn marks.

Love it! Love it! Love it! Keep them coming Universal!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Originally Posted by gunthertoody

I agree. I thought all DVD-R's are purple, but this one looks like a standard DVD without burn marks.

Love it! Love it! Love it! Keep them coming Universal!

=======================================================

Universal probably read the thread pertaining to all the complaints about the Warner MOD program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks