What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Hmm, everyone seems to be getting jazzed by the word "remastered".
Remember that nearly every DVD ever produced has carried that legend somewhere on the packaging. The point is it doesn't necessarily mean anything - some of the lousiest transfers imaginable have boasted that they were "digitally remastered".

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Given Warner's virtual shut-down of pressed discs once their burn-on-demand program started, I imagine Universal will now do the same.

There goes my hopes for future Backlot collection's of Film Noir, Pre-codes, Vintage Horror, etc......

Bummer

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have placed an order, and now got a email saying it has been back pressed, I mean back ordered. I am looking forward to see how this goes, but until I have the titles in my DVD player, I do not think that I can comment on how great Universal is doing this vs Warner Brothers. What is Universal's definition of remastered? The extras are not that impressive, stills. lobby cards, and posters. Something that just about anybody can find on the Internet and not something that prduces a purchase for me (the film is more important). In-depth info means what? A write up on the back of the cover. It does say more but does that mean trailers?

I want this to work and intend on supporting it for the films I want, I just am not ready to acclaim joy before I have this in my hands. I read several not so flattering reviews of the Lost RKO films that TCM released the same way as these from Universal and did not purchase the group due to those reviews. The reviews were particularly hard on the extras, which are the same for the Universal release. However, to be fair the majority of the complaints were that they were DVD-r, which at this time, I have no problem with.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Shipping is pretty expensive even within the US. At TCM its $4.50 for the first disk plus $.50 for each additional disk. I wonder if these films will be available to rent

Now I am thinking that "Remember The Night" looked so bad recently on TCM so that they can say how good the remastered version is. I have the VHS of Remember the Night and it looked fine.
On another thread there was speculation that the Universal fire was responsible for TCM using an old MCA TV print of the film in recent showings.

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Livius

Hmm, everyone seems to be getting jazzed by the word "remastered".
Remember that nearly every DVD ever produced has carried that legend somewhere on the packaging. The point is it doesn't necessarily mean anything - some of the lousiest transfers imaginable have boasted that they were "digitally remastered".

I meant to point this out earlier. I'm certainly not a technical expert and maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology, but isn't everything that appears on DVD for the first time "remastered" by definition? That can simply mean they created a new digital transfer of an old VHS master, right?

Now if these films are being restored as well as remastered, then that would be a huge differentiator between Universal and Warners, IMO.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
That's the thinking of all those public domain "pressing" companies that hope you don't know the difference between the terms. [/url]

I meant to point this out earlier. I'm certainly not a technical expert and maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology, but isn't everything that appears on DVD for the first time "remastered" by definition? That can simply mean they created a new digital transfer of an old VHS master, right?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Indeed, "remastered" is just something that everybody sticks on the front of every DVD release because they know a lot of consumers regard remastered as being the same as restored.

Of course, they are no such thing. One could "remaster" a film by simply copying a ropey old VHS edition.

Wiki has an excellent definition

"Frequently advertised with regard to CD and DVD releases, remastering has become a powerful buzzword in multimedia industries, and it generally implies quality enhancement of sound and/or picture to a previously existing recording (frequently designed to encourage people to buy a new version of something they already own)"

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Cees Alons:
I bow to your obvious superiority of expression and nuance. However, I would like to respond to a few of your points.
1) Some bundles were only available for a limited time.
2) I have, in fact, read EVERY reaction on all three WB ARCHIVE threads. And I would respectfully take issue with your statement that "most people clearly expressed their joy" over
the Archive program. The large number of people who seemed to take this program as a personal affront was what prompted my entry..
3) I would humbly suggest that there was more than a whiff of patronization in your own entry. I guess my attempt at a light-hearted form of comment fell flat in your case.
Yours truly,
Peter Jablonski
ps: What the heck is a Moderator?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Peter,

Moderators try to help keeping the forum useful for the membership.

Oh, I admit that a lot of bitching-and-moaning was taking place. Except, it was generally NOT because of ignoring the pleasure of finally being able to buy certain rare titles, as you seemed to suggest by your "get blue in the face" remark.

People generally recognized that aspect alright, as I see it, but were clearly less pleased with the conditions the titles were offered, especially the combination of 'quality offered / price asked', the chance to ever see the same title on a regular DVD or BD or the shipment restrictions.

If you acknowledge that difference of subject: it's there were the bitching-and-moaning began and not about being not thankful for what we're about to receive.

Cees

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Cees,
Many thanks for your explanation of what a Moderator is, and also for your straight-forward response to my last post. We were both, perhaps, guilty of a certain amount of patronization in our previous entries. Just to set the record straight:
1) I was very distressed this year, as were so many others, by the huge drop-off in pre-1965
films released on DVD.
2) I did understand the reason for this, given the state of the economy, and the disappearance of such chain stores as Tower Records and Virgin Megastores.
3) The announcements of the WB ARCHIVE COLLECTION and the TCM/UNIVERSAL partnering were, therefore, something of a Gift of the Gods.
4) I'm one of the many who find the cost per DVD-R to be too high. I also miss the extras we've all become accustomed to to, although I can certainly live without them, as I did during the Age of VHS.
5) Given that many of the titles seem to eventually be released either in a bundle, or as a pick-and-choose selction, I have no problem in waiting a bit 'til I can afford them.
6) As a senior citizen on the down-hill side of life, I could prefer not to waste my time railing
about things over which I have no control. I'm afraid I'm one of Oscar Hammerstein's "cock-eyed
optomists". I'm happy when things go my way, and blow it off when they don't.
Yours truly,
Peter

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Testy, perhaps. I wouldn't say grumpy in either case. Other things about me: My partner and I are now married, at least in six states. (Or five, depending on how the Maine referendum goes next week.) [SIZE= smaller][COLOR= #ff0000][ Statement of political nature edited out by moderator - CA ][/COLOR][/SIZE] At my age, I find it necessary to prioratize (sp?) my concerns, so the way DVDs
are issued is relatively low on my list. I'm just glad to get what I can when I can. I love Amsterdam (we honeymooned there). Etc. etc. etc.
Peter

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm.
Moderators also have to assure that our rules (especially the ones about "forbidden" subjects) are kept. So, I suppose you'll understand which part of your text about which head of which State(s) cannot be elaborated on any further, in any of your posts.

Cees

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Cees:
Sorry to say I never read the rules ... my error. By the way, how does one start a new Forum? I'd like to start one on Review Comments I Could Live Without Ever Seeing Again (particularily on Amazon). To wit:
1) I'd give it NO STARS if I could.
2) Threw it in the trash, where it BELONGS!!!
3) Like, DUDE!!!
Yours truly,
Peter

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ha, ha, ha. You could start a new thread in the After Hours Lounge, called "Unbelievably stupid reviewing comments on Amazon, and other forgettables", or so.

Cees

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone actually seen the TCM preview broadcasts advertising this collection... the newly remastered schtick is quite prominently promoted and clearly not the usual generic back of the dvd case blurb for a digital port. They are, at the very least, insinuating that new transfers have been struck from source elements for these releases. Unlike Warners, who simply transfer over existing video masters. I think this is quite an important selling point.

DanMel

Second Unit
I'm excited about the posibility of getting 10 of the earliest sound movies done by Gary Cooper one of which is being released in the Cary Grant set "The Devil and the deep".
Below is my wishlist for Universial (all Gary Cooper movies of course). I doubt I will see any of these released on pressed discs any time soon.

1931 His Woman
1931 I Take This Woman
1931 City Streets
1931 Fighting Caravans (may be public domain)
1930 The Spoilers
1930 A Man From Wyoming
1930 The Texan
1930 Only the Brave
1930 Seven Days Leave
1929 The Virginian (may be public domain)

Desire and many others not mentioned I already own in R2 from Universial.

Corey

Screenwriter
Yes maybe now I can get my hands on some of those Joan Fontaine features I've wanted as well as a Paulette Goddard and 2nd Mae West set.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Transferring film or tape from analog to digital is just digitizing it. No "restoration" or "remastering" occurs.

Indeed, "remaster" and "restoration" are subjective terms. Only when a disc is in your hands can you be sure of what you've purchased. Also - granting proper "restoration" is actually done - it's not a good idea to assume such treatment will continue for an entire division. We all know restoration varies from product to product, even within a series. Walt Disney Treasures anyone?

DVD-Rs can skip/fail based on a variety of reasons, including how the blank disc was manufactured, who manufactured it and where (what country), what software program wrote the disc, what parameters were used (i.e. burn speed), what player model is used for playback, etc. Different Archive titles skipping at the same point has to do with one or more of these factors interfering. This you don't have with pressed DVDs, whose production is an exact science.

This MOD stuff is an incontestable downgrade from retail discs. If studios could guarantee the budget to properly restore everything they put to recordable disc (as this new arrangement seems to indicate), they could afford to press a limited number of them and finish the job right.

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by PODER

Other things about me: My partner and I are now married, at least in six states. (Or five, depending on how the Maine referendum goes next week.) [SIZE= smaller][COLOR= #ff0000][ Statement of political nature edited out by moderator - CA ][/COLOR][/SIZE] At my age, I find it necessary to prioratize (sp?) my concerns, so the way DVDs
are issued is relatively low on my list. I'm just glad to get what I can when I can. I love Amsterdam (we honeymooned there). Etc. etc. etc.
Peter

Peter, I believe that sharing your personal and political views are well-intentioned, but are against the rules in the SD-DVD Documentary portion of the HTF (wow, that's a lot of initials).

MODERATORS (I'm not yelling, just trying to make sure you see my post; I realize it's easy to overlook posts) Please delete all of the above comments, [SIZE= smaller][COLOR= #ff0000][ Statement of political nature edited out by moderator - CA ][/COLOR][/SIZE], but for the moment, I'll refrain from posting them since, as far as I know, such opinions are against the rules. If I'm wrong, and political statements are fine, please let me know, and I'll be more than happy to "share" some of my own.

Thanks very much,
BrianRi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks