What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by MattH.

I still don't like the price tag of individual discs. Too high unless there will be discount codes.
Ditto. I am not opposed to the whole idea of the Archive-style programs at all. Particularly as it will mean getting copies of somewhat obscure movies and minor classics. I am somewhat enthused about Universal's apparent intent to remaster the films. However, I have not been pleased with the price per disc. As i have said before, I cannot see paying more for a DVD-R than a Blu-ray.

If they offered more titles I absolutely MUST HAVE, then I'd pay the prices. Most of the titles offered are more what I think of as "nice to haves", and therefore not worth the $ in the worst economy in a lifetime.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
If TCM and Universal are going to give us remastered copies and extras then hopefully Warners will follow their lead. I am cautiously going to watch this.

I do find it bizarre that TCM is doing this with Universal since they are owned by Time Warner and have a strong connection with Warners. But anything to get some of the older Universal and Paramount titles in the marketplace.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I don't mind DVD-R and thrilled that these are restored/remastered/fresh transfers.

I wonder who actually is behind this, TCM itself,or is it Movie's Unlimited backing this under the TCM Name?

(Since Warners own TCM,isn't it strange they would licence for release shows from another studio?)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Good, intelligent, well-expressed retorts and opinions. Many thanks for the civility. I'd just gotten a little weary of the screaming "Woe-Is-Me-ers", I guess. And yes, if AFRICAN QUEEN comes out as a part of Warner Archives with no extras, I'll probably throw my own hissy-fit. Thanks again, guys, for keeping the on-line temp down.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
At least these indicate some level of remastering and minimal extras, plus some thought towards packaging themed film sets and half way decent cover art resembling retail product. A better value than anything Warners offering lately...

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by John Hodson /forum/thread/294403/universal-and-tcm-s-partnership-for-made-to-order-dvd#post_3622345

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
While I prefer pressed discs and cheaper prices(who doesn't?), this news isn't all bad. If we get some of the early Paramount films and obscure gems like James Whale's non horror output then I'm all for it.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Looks like some of the bonus features on these discs are:

• Behind the Scenes Photos
  • Publicity Stills
  • Lobby Cards
  • Movie Posters
  • In-Depth Info

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The big question is how long after being made avasilable as part of this program will the films show up on TCM? 3 Months? 6 Months? A Year? Clearly the remastering isn't just for these limited releases but for future broadcasts.

If anything this program could help amorize the cost of remastering over both the releases and broadcast fees.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by John Hodson

If The African Queen came out in the Warner Archive, it would be Paramount who'd be throwing the fit...

Did THE AFRICAN QUEEN ever come out on laserdisc?

FrankXS

Second Unit
Could we now at last get the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake film noirs ? The Uninvited ? More Mitchell Leisen ? The rest of the Marlene Dietrich titles ? More Claudette Colbert....Deanna Durbin.....Barbara Stanwyck..... Carole Lombard ??? The rest of W.C. Fields/Bing Crosby and Bob Hope ?????? Thank you TCM and Universal. Now if only something can happen with Fox and all the great remaining titles that are in limbo there.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by FrankXS

Could we now at last get the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake film noirs ? The Uninvited ? More Mitchell Leisen ? The rest of the Marlene Dietrich titles ? More Claudette Colbert....Deanna Durbin.....Barbara Stanwyck..... Carole Lombard ??? The rest of W.C. Fields/Bing Crosby and Bob Hope ?????? Thank you TCM and Universal. Now if only something can happen with Fox and all the great remaining titles that are in limbo there.
I hear you and feel your pain and look forward to see what comes of this. Perhaps, and I mean perhaps, Fox will look at this and do something through Fox Movie Channel.

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
The question that no one has asked yet is the most important one: Who's doing the actual MOD? If it's Allied Vaughn again we're in trouble. In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by jack phillips

The question that no one has asked yet is the most important one: Who's doing the actual MOD? If it's Allied Vaughn again we're in trouble. In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.

That's a good question! :)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by jack phillips
In my last batch of Warner Archives, every single title freezes 30 seconds before the end. I don't object to DVD-Rs, just DVD-Rs that are shoddily produced.
Are you sure it isn't a player issue? It seems curious that completely different discs would all freeze at the same spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks