What's new

Universal agree to fix R2 BTTF discs again... this time officially (hopefully) (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, the on-off again saga of the Back to the Future R2 replacement releases appears to be on again:

http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=2848

The story states the discs will be ready in April. There is a phone number to ring.

update

I've just rung the number and had the returns process explained to me and it seems pretty harmless - should be no trouble for anyone what-so-ever.

Mods - Please could you alter this thread heading to remove the hopefully - the replacement programme in the UK is go!

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James

Just to confirm to all

I phoned the number and and was told that all I had to do was send them a letter with proof of purchase with reference BTTF and they would do the rest. I even got an apology for the badly framed version!

Cheers;)

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Oscar

According to Universal, the corrected discs will be available to all in April. When my new ones arrive I will quote the reference number on this site so that you know that you are getting the right set.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
While they are at it, they might as well add the additional extras that were on the R1 releases of 2&3.

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the reason why the extras are missing is because of the available bandwidth

The Region 2 discs have a DTS soundtrack, the Region 1 discs do not.

That's the official line anyway!

To be honest, I'd rather have the extras. Didn't Universal say they left off DTS on region 1 because there was very little difference in quality anyway?

James Reader

Screenwriter
Just received a letter from Universal Music today stating that they have my name of file and the discs will be sent to be sometime in April.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Apparently the reason why the extras are missing is because of the available bandwidth
The real reason is that all the extras weren't available when they released R4 and R2. Same thing happened with The Terminator.
BTTF1 has far more extras than II or III. I'm pretty sure they could have room for the additional extras, even with the DTS track.
I just read somewhere that the fixed widescreen R1 releases will have the trailers replaced with widescreen trailers as well. So if they can change content in R1 for the fixed discs why not in other regions as well?

In my opinion Universal blew this release big time.
- Framing issues
- Missing extras in non R1
- No Power of Love music video on BTTF1
- Scandalous packaging in R4 (all 3 discs in the same spot!!!)

Maybe they'll get it right in 5-10 years time when HD-DVD hits off, but I wouldn't count on it.

MikeyC

Auditioning
I heard that something was wrong with the bttf discs but exactly what is wrong with them?

i have had mine since they came out and they seem fine

AdamD

Auditioning
(Jus posted this in another thread but figured it should really be in here: )

I'm sure it was zoomed in. Anyway, rang the UK number today, this highly excited woman first asked me "Are you a shop?" (.... no i'm not a shop) and then told me i had to write in, with time/place of purchase, a receipt (if possible, it wasn't necessary) and they'd "put me on file" and notify me about what to do about replacing them when the discs were ready. apparently they were meant to be ready this month but it doesn't look likely. (think i should be posting this in the other UK thread. will put it in both anyway.)

-Adam

(PS.... wow, 2 fighter jets jus flew over my house. fun.)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Yes. It's annoying that the UK was released first, but we have to wait longer while the US replacements are shipping now. :frowning:

That's only half in jest. :b

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Universal for reasons best known to them sent me a 2nd set of the corrected R1 discs, so if anyone in R2 wants to swap a set of the corrected R2 discs with me, I'd be up for it to get the DTS track, and you can get the R1 extras. Everybody's happy. Email me if you're interested once you have your corrected R2 discs.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I wouldn't expect anything before mid-June to be honest. The whole thing has been a PR disaster for them (as was their UK "ET" release), from their on-off-on again replacement policy through to their obvious priority of the US release (which, after all was released LAST, yet got replaced FIRST).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks