Univeral TV Product

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Gregorich, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    As anyone heard if Universal will ever get around to releasing TV product? I would love to see Battlestar Galactica (original series) and Magnum PI seasonal box sets!

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

"Seasonal box sets" huh....I didn't know they made enough Christmas, Halloween, Valentines Day etc... episodes to make different box sets [​IMG]

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

No new info lately, sadly. And (as you can see from my sig) I spend a lot of time looking into TVShowsOnDVD. Be sure to head over to that site (the icon in my sig is a link) and put in your vote for your favorite shows, and encourage others to do the same! Sooner or later that studio will smell the money and come running...

4. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Apparently, Richard Hatch's website has a petition for a region 1 DVD set of Battlestar. I read it at The digital bits.

5. David Lambert

Do a search here at HTF, I linked to it in a post a while back. Good petition; needs all the support it can get!

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Well,

Universal Home Video farmed out the Quantum Leap pilot to Image Entertainment for distribution on DVD. But sales of that were less then stellar. And UHV did release the Hercules TV films to DVD themselves. But as for actual products?

No word.

BUT...

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. USA Home Entertainment was going to distribute the Xena: Warrior Princess television product to DVD. Starting with the series finale. Now that Universal Home Video will take over distribution of USA Pictures & USA Television products, that means that will Universal Home Video has "real" television products to gauge the market with.

So...

If you want Battlestar Galactica on DVD.

Buy the Xena: Warrior Princess on DVD. Prove to them that we want TV products on DVD.

7. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks for the info David. I checked out the site and put in my requests for Magnum, Battlestar and Bab 5.

8. David Lambert

Adam: Coolness. I really think that it will help, or I wouldn't be involved in supporting the site.
    Rutger: I agree in general, but two things:
    1) I hope Xena sales this Tuesday don't get lost in the shuffle of sales of other TV product released this week (3/26):
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • All in the Family
    • Peter Gunn
    • Honeymooners
    • The Lucy Show
    • Andy Griffith
    • Upstairs, Downstairs
    • Jeeves and Wooster
    • Till Death Us Do Part
    • Farscape
    • Lexx
    • Mystery Science Theater 3000
    • Poirot
    • Pokemon
    • Clifford the Big Red Dog
    • Madeline
    • My Little Margie
    • ...and the WWF to round things out! [​IMG]
    2) The fact that 19 different TV shows CAN be released to DVD on one street date OUGHT to be a sign that TV on DVD is successful and profitable.
    Universal needs to get off the can and get moving. I'm sure they're working on it, just haven't made any announcements yet. That R4 complete set for Battlestar Galactica has to be something they can easily snag and release in R1...more paperwork than authoring work, and it ought to be easy money.
    Sooner or later...

9. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Northern Exposure!!!!!!

Mike

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From the grapevine

Universal HAS TV shows in the "strategy to be decided" hopper. How fast they do them will be DIRECTLY proportional to how often we bitch

Remember, a phone call is worth 50 emails, a snail mail letter is worth about 150. So bitch away!

11. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Jeff-

Do you have any contact info for the right people or department at Universal?

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

David-

What is this Andy Griffith release? I've seen you mention it twice, but I can find no listing anywhere.

We now rejoin our regular thread, already in progress.

13. David Lambert

Image Entertainment's site says this about these 2 releases:

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Just call Universal's main number, or call the 800 number directory (1-800-555-1212) and ask for "Universal Home Video Customer Service"