What's new

United 93 (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that there's been no notice at all of this film's release on Blu-ray on Sept. 6. It's a brilliant piece of work, filmed in a low-key, documentary manner that makes it all the more powerful. Many of those in the cast are playing themselves, making it even more realistic. As for the technical part of it, the film looks great on a 62-inch screen, and has a knockout sound mix. If you don't have this film, get it.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Rick Thompson said:
I'm surprised that there's been no notice at all of this film's release on Blu-ray on Sept. 6. It's a brilliant piece of work, filmed in a low-key, documentary manner that makes it all the more powerful. Many of those in the cast are playing themselves, making it even more realistic. As for the technical part of it, the film looks great on a 62-inch screen, and has a knockout sound mix. If you don't have this film, get it.
This is probably the best movie I've ever seen with regards to the way that it is able to put you back in the moment and really make you reflect on everything that happened that day. I know it's something that a lot of people might not want to see, but you won't regret it. There's nothing cheap or manipulative about it. I'm surprised that it wasn't broadcast on one of the networks last night.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it was a good movie, too. However, the "you are there" atmosphere is so real and intense, I don't know how many times I could view the film.

RPMay

Agent
Real Name
Dick May
Regardless of the emotional impact, I have never seen this film due the extreme use of hand held camera. It is distracting, and makes many people uncomfortable. It looks like it is being used less in current films. Maybe enough people complained. DM

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
David_B_K said:
I thought it was a good movie, too. However, the "you are there" atmosphere is so real and intense, I don't know how many times I could view the film.
That's very true, but I'd still recommend that everyone see it was once.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
RPMay said:
Regardless of the emotional impact, I have never seen this film due the extreme use of hand held camera. It is distracting, and makes many people uncomfortable. It looks like it is being used less in current films. Maybe enough people complained. DM
I'm not a fan of hand-held cameras either, and they have indeed been overused to the point of distraction. There are times, however, where the technique is entirely appropriate and adds to the impact of the film. I believe this is one of them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found it a brilliant, haunting film, but it's a emotional zapper of a movie. I felt completely limp by the end of it.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I thought it was the best film of its year, but I can understand why some people failed to even give it a chance.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched my copy yesterday and thanks for the heads up on coming out in HD. Matt said just how I felt at the end of the show. I saw it in the theater and when it ended i had problem getting up from me seat. The whole theater was silent when the film ended. I watched so much yesterday that i had to leave my house and go for a walk with my Uncle. I want to know if anyone saw Frontline last night? The episode called "The Man Who Knew" his name was John something. The whole story is like a movie. I bet someone will do a moviie on this giuy.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
It's very late here at IBM and im probably a bit out of it so for give me for this question.. I have only seen bits of this so far but... Many of those in the cast are playing themselves, making it even more realistic. Oops nevermind just went to the imdb page and read this One of the amazing things about United 93 is its casting. The casting of the film includes a number of real life United pilots, stewardesses, air traffic controllers and military personnel, many of them actually playing themselves. The cast of passengers are a group of largely unknowns, which lends great respectability and reality. We are seeing these people for the first time, with no previous knowledge of them as actors and it only works in their favor. It just sounding like you were referring to passengers from the flight which would be impossible. This may be too close to what i can muster to watch. As i like to say,the most painful scene in Carpenter's The thing is not the green-blooded atrocities and monsters but the taking sample of blood scene and that thumb-cutting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't want to watch this movie (or any movie about 9/11, really) because I had no interest in reliving that day any more than I already do, but I was talked into it. It was one of the most intense films I've ever seen. Just stunning. When the movie started, I was sitting on the couch 9 feet from the screen. When it ended, I was standing up 2 feet from the screen, and I didn't remember moving. FWIW, I enjoyed Oliver Stone's World Trade Center as well, but it wasn't in the same league as United 93. Mark, you're thinking of John O'Neill. Incredible story. If you want to learn more about him and the anti-terrorism world he was a part of, you should read the book The Looming Tower. It's really fascinating. I think if I link to it on Amazon here, HTF will get a cut if anybody orders a copy. :) http://www.amazon.com/Looming-Tower-Al-Qaeda-Road-11/dp/1400030846/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315924957&sr=8-1

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have the review copy of the United 93 Blu, and went through it on Sunday.

This was not an easy experience or one that I recommend trying.

The movie is a good one, albeit emotionally exhausting by the time it is done. The first time I saw it, I remember getting so knotted in the tension that I just wanted them to get on with the mess and not have us go through more buildup. Knowing how this scenario ends is the awful part of the whole thing. And seeing that happen onscreen is something that stays with you for quite some time afterwards.

The bonus features are ported over from the DVD, which I watched once when it came out and could never bring myself to watch again. The meetings of the cast with the families are very difficult for me to watch.

I'll have something up this weekend.

I can say that the picture and sound are both top notch, and the ported extras are as good as they were on the DVD. It's not an issue of the quality of the movie or the transfer here - it's just brutal trying to watch this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks