United 93

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrettB, Sep 5, 2006.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Is there going to be an HTF review? I checked DVD-Basen and no reviews came up. This has turned into the movie that never was. [​IMG]

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I heard universal didn't send out early review copies for it.

I saw it in the theatre. its a great film.. its not easy to watch. probably better as a rental then for a keeper..

I must say that the end is the most intense ending that I have seen in a long time for a movie.

Jacob

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

It is an excellent film, easily the best of the year (my review is here: http://talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com/...united-93.html ) . No matter what the DVD quality is like, it is a must see.

As far as a purchase goes, it is a tough call. I loved the film, but I can't see myself watching it multiple times. It is a pretty tough film to watch.

Ebert and Roeper reviewed it over the weekend and said the extras are very good. There is a documentary that follows the actors meeting the families of the people they portray.

4. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

An incredibly well-done film-- its very naturalistic and documentary-like style dispenses with all usual Hollywood devices and add tremendously to its overall emotional impact. We are never even told the names of the passengers, although they were portrayed with as much accuracy as possible. It's surprising how much the tension builds even though we already know the story, and although the story's ending is inevitable, you find yourself rooting for the passengers despite the ultimate futility of their actions.
    I have never been in a more quiet movie theater than when this feature ended.

5. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Just on a note, saw the disc sitting in HMV here in Ottawa, but on the back it was labelled 'fullscreen'. Didn't see anything on the front of any of them to indicate widescreen or any specific OAR. What is the status of this?

6. Timothy Fisher

Timothy Fisher Auditioning

I picked this one up today. The store I was in (Fry's in Concord, California) had copies in both fullscreen and OAR.

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Just finished watching the dvd. I was too caught up the movie to really care about the dvd stuff but to me it....looked great and sounded good too.

The documentary is also very, very well made. [​IMG]

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I am very much looking forward to watching this...even though I just recently sat through the DVD of "Flight 93". As much as I appreciated that particular representation of the event, I am expecting this version will take that representation to the next level.

United 93 has been released in BOTH OAR and MAR editions...so be careful. There is also a 2-disc SE that has been released...but seemingly in VERY limited numbers by Universal. This is going to be another tough "get" for those who really want it. None of the "usual suspects" retailers near me had any thoughts they would ever be receiving copies of the 2-disc United 93 at any time in the foreseeable future. [​IMG]

9. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

Bought the one disc version at Best Buy in LA today. They had maybe a dozen copies of the two disc version, but unusually for me I didn't buy it. I'm tired of this "limited" special edition thing Universal is doing, I had to go to 4 stores to find "Munich" when it came out. At least the 2-discer is in a proper keepcase, unlike the flimsy cheapo cardboard junk the last three Spielberg films have come in.

The second disc on the United 93 set has nothing but a documentary called "Chasing Planes - Witnesses to 9/11", which apparently has no connection to the film, it's just a doc on the events. The film is far and away the best of the year so far, one of the bast of the last few years, but this doc was not worth the extra money for me.

10. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Local Wal-Mart didn't have the 2 disc and neither dvdempire or amazon sells it directly (I think you can get it used through those sites though.)

I woulda rather had the 2 disc set but my mom decided to buy it for me at the last minute since I said I liked it so much. Screw it, I'll keep the single disc. I'm not playing scavenger hunt Universal!

11. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

The connection is that several of the interviewees on Chasing Planes play themselves in the film. However, I would agree that the single disc is an excellent enough release and the 2 disc seems somewhat superfluous (and I even liked Chasing Planes). Excellent film, excellent docu on the single disc, but be prepared for the emotional impact.

12. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I LOVED this movie... I went to both Wal-Mart and Best Buy and they did not have a single 2-Disc'er - So I guess I'll have to try Target or buy it online.

Maybe put it in my DDD sale basket. [​IMG]

ry

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

[​IMG] ebert hasnt been on the show for about 4 weeks. there have been guest reviewers.

i do agree that the pq of the dvd isnt to be worried about.
    just rent it or buy it.
    it needs to be seen.

btw pq is fine. i thought

14. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    The show is still called "Ebert and Roeper" even though guest reviewers have been filling in, so technically, Jon is correct.[​IMG]

Tremendous film.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    did anyone watch this week

aisha tyler was very good and will be on next week too.

16. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

I pre-ordered the "Limited Edition" from DVDEmpire, and it was later cancelled because not enough copies were made. [​IMG] Circuit City, Best Buy, and Amazon are currently out-of-stock, I guess the "Limited Edition" is limited.

17. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I preordered the Limited Edition from DVD Pacific and it already shipped. Nonetheless the constant LE troubles with Universal are highly annoying.

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I ordered my LIMITED copy from Lasers Edge and it never arrived.

I just wrote them to say that if they aren't expecting any
    shipments of the LE, to send me the standard WS version instead.

I'm a bit miffed. This was the most anticipated DVD release of
    the year for me. Really! In a year of utter cinematic crap (as
    if this year is any different from any other), I was looking
    forward to a finely made film like this one. Guess I'll have to wait
    a little longer.

It's a real shame that Universal puts out so many "limited" copies.
    Since when does the words "LIMITED" on any studio release really
    mean what it says?

19. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Outside of used copies at large mark ups, I don't see any online stores selling the 2 disc special edition . Ethier they say out of stock (Amazon , DVD Empire etc.) or they don't list it at all (DDD).

20. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

I had the same experience, J and R, and the 2 Tower Record stores in Manhattan did not have it and typical of Tower, they did not know what I was talking about at both stores. Now it is available for $54.99 on Amazon but only from people who purchased it right away. While I think Universal's limited "limited edition" policy is ridiculous, to do it on this movie in particular it is just bizarre and really tacky.