What's new

Unique sub location. (1 Viewer)

Chad F.

Agent
I have a 12x19 living room for my HT. On one wall there is a built in entertainment center with shelves up top and room for a 32" TV. I have a 43", but managed to position it in front of the wall with the sub behind it inside the space for the TV....OMFG it sounds and feels like a high end car systems, you know how you can feel it in your chest, thats what happens sitting on my sofa. And I have the Bose Accuostimass10 system with a HK AVR235. I bought the system before joining this forum so please forgive me. But by arranging my HT like this it has made me feel a bit better about the Bose and can only imagine what the SVS system( not sure which one about $1000 I think) would sound like. Just something intresting to share with you guys.

Brian Sheldon

Auditioning
congrats, sounds like you are very happy with your system. that is the bottom line and most important thing to keep in mind--especially when reading in here and elsewhere where everyone loves what they purchased and hate everything else. As far as feeling the sound produced by your bass module--that is a true acheivement--enjoy it. Also, not to doubt you, but you must not have ever been in a car with a serious system in it--you honestly can't get in a vehicle that pumps out 160+spl. It will cause permanent hearing damage and it physically compresses the open chambers of your body (lungs) so hard it hurts too bad to toloerate. I honestly doubt you are getting anything over 100-105 spl in you seating position (which is fairly loud). Don't bother comparing your system to the SVS--especially in here, it's an impossible situation with no way to even keep from being torn apart, let alone win. Honestly there really is no comparison. The SVS system has two way bookshelf speakers with 5 1/4" drivers (the same size as the drivers in your bass module) and is anchored by the absolute finest sub available for under $500--the PB10. THis is a no contest. The SVS system will make you bose system seem like a clock radio in comparison--it is that big of a difference. Again, congrats on getting your system set up in a way that you enjoy.

BTW love your signature--that is funny. You obvioulsy have never heard a true 16 hz note blasted out at high spl's--don't feel bad not too many people have. Once you do, you can never go back and you will change your mind about that statement. For example, one of my favorite test scenes is Blackhawk Down's F'in Irene scene. When the men are running to the helicopters there is a subsonic note at around 16-18hz that is very powerful and simply awe inspiring. I have known about this scene for a few years, but never understood it. I tried everything I could to hear it with my old 10" 150W sub. I turned off the mains, turned the gain all the way up on the sub, turned the bass control to the max and cranked the volume. It did this dozens of times with my ear to the port, feeling the speaker with my hand--still nothing. I concluded that there just wasn't anything there and that people just like the sound of helicopters starting up--there is some rumble in that but nothing at all spectacular. This was until I heard a REAL subwoofer, my friend's $550 sub. I was floored the first time I heard, correction felt that scene. It is truly an epiphany. The note is very strong and very noticeable. It shakes the whole room. Trust me, try this scene. If you don't feel a huge wave of energy as the men are running (it only lasts about 2 seconds) you are missing what the film sound editors meant for you to experience. Now that I have twin 12" drivers, I now truly understand that size does matter in speakers and once you hear a real subwoofer you will too. Heck the sond editors of Blackhawk Down used multiple 21" Bag End subs to produce the note in the first place. I think they know what they are doing--they did win and academy award for their effort. Not trying to staart anything, but maybe, just maybe, there is something to the old saying, "There is no replacement for displacement."

Chad F.

Agent
thanks for the input, and yes I have only experienced around 120 DB in a car. I just wish there was someway for me to hear these SBS systems. No one I talk to IRL knows what I'm talking about. While reading the reviews of their systems it is amazing sounding, I want to experience that, but would love a test first. Also my HK only has 50 watts a channel, I think its way underrated or that is the lowest possible wattage. But thanks for your input and with a wife and kids you have to go with small outa the way speakers for know but the SBS 01 looks very doable. I would love to experience the sound of these, if they are so good why don't any stores carry them, even the high end only stores. I can run a bass test cd on my sub and after it gets below 20 cycles it is pretty much done, but can still hear it just not the sweet spot.

mylan

Screenwriter
Bose "bass modules" will go nowhere near 20hz. What you are hearing is the vibrations from it buzzing the walls, the cabinent, and the back of your tv, basically distortion.
With what you paid for the Bose system, you could have gotten the SBS-01 and a whole different world of sound. The SBS are "small out of the way speakers" and I doubt the kids could damage the sub. I would buy it on reviews here alone, no audition necessary. The reason SVS sells internet only is because of retail overhead, not because no store will sell them.

Chad F.

Agent
I agree Mylan, that probably is what I'm hearing, just wish I would have been a member when I was upgrading my HT. I ended up buying them at Best Buy, they sounded teh best out of what BB had to offer. And sound very clear but of course with a lot of sub localization. If the SBS 01 is still around I will take a risk and buy them when I upgrade again in about 2 or 3 years. I almost did buy them a month or so ago when reading their reviews here and in other magz.

mylan

Screenwriter
Yeah, perhaps I was a little harsh, sorry. In the end, all that should matter is that you like what you have. The part that bugs me is when people make claims that I know are "stretching it". I too have come to realize many things since reading these forums and would have designed my H.T. diferently if I knew now what I didn't know then.
The greatest thing about Bose is that there are many people who are still think highly of it and you should have no trouble selling on E-Bay and upgrading to the SBS-01 for probably less than what you paid for the Bose.

Brian Sheldon

Auditioning
Robert,

what sub is it? As I am sure you know, things have changed dramatically in the world of subs in the last 8 years. THX subs from yester-year will probably get smoked by some of today's non-THX certified monsters. Let me know what you find out. There are a couple of more scene that I love--but that one is my favorite from a "hidden" standpoint. It really will pass you by without noticeing it at all. The first time I heard it (and I was excited to hear it and prepared for it) I was totally in awe. Another that simply shakes the foundation is the Hauntinh door knocking scene. Everyone raves about the bangs on the door--awesome, but not what I like the best. After they both get off of the bed and ms. Zeta-Jones says, "What's going on?" "The Cold" comes in with a HUGE,HUGE surge of low-end energy. Again I think it is centered around 17hz or so. It makes my couch dance, and the walls flex. that is probably my favorite. One more that is climbing the rankings each time I see it is "flight of the Phoenix" crash scene. When the plane spins upside down and you are looking at all of the passengers, there is a huge subsonic rumble that is simply amazing. My buddy who has been working as a DJ for years came over and he was literally awestruck. He had never heard/felt true subsonic bass before. It was a good day. Again, have fun testing and let me know what you find.

Chad,
you probably wouldn't hear 1/10th the hype that you do about SVS if it were sold in a store. It wouldn't be the phenominal value that is because it would have to be marked up like the rest of the industry. I am sure it would still be on everyone's list as great products, but they would more than likely cost at least double what they do. They are an internet direct company only that offers great products at even better prices offering us the consumers some of, if not the best values/deals there is to be had in home audio. Take a chance--worst case you pay the shipping charges to audition them for 30 days. However, compared to what you currently have, the odds of you not liking it are about zero. However, in 2-3 years who knows what will be available then, we might be talking about a whole other company that we doesn't even exist yet. Enjoy the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks