What's new

Unique Question On Room Arrangement (1 Viewer)

ubuntu7782

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So I'm redoing my living room next weekend and I'm trying to decide if I should change my surround sound setup. The first picture is my current setup. The problem I have with it is the speakers aren't across from each other (there to the right side). The second problem is the tv is to the right side too instead of being centered with the couch.
aypms1.jpg
The second picture is my proposed setup. The front and rear surround speakers are in line with each other and equally spaced out from the center of the couch. The TV is also moved more towards the center of the couch. I guess the only problem I have with this setup is although the left front speaker is now inline with the rear its on the other side of the door. Because of the door the tv can't be spaced in the middle of the two speakers, although its closer then it is now. If I do go with the setup should I place the center speaker in the middle of the tv, or should I center it between the two front speakers (more towards the left of the tv) ?
986g01.jpg
Which setup do you think is better?

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Go with the second set up. Keep the center channel in the center of the display.

You could also spread the fronts (and rears) apart even further if you're able.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If that was my setup, I would go to stereo with a center in figure 1 and lose the rear channel. The problem I see isn't separation, it's no room behind for the rears to blend with each other.

Wider separation isn't better. In a small room, the mains shouldn't be more than six feet apart. They need to form a clear soundstage around the screen. If having the couch offset bothers you, move the couch.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I also say go with the second setup, except that I'd put the surround speakers on stands at the ends of the sofa, and pointed toward you.

Surrounds don't really go behind, like in the diagram. They should be to the side, and just behind the head. In a 7.1 setup, the back surrounds do go behind you. See Dolby's recommendations here: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

I wouldn't go stereo. The whole purpose of having surround equipment is for surround sound, not stereo.

Good luck!

ubuntu7782

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So with everyones help and after reviewing the dolby site I decided to go with setup2 with some minor changes.

I cant move the couch more to the right because the dining room is closer then my scale model attempt, and there is a window seat beind the couch so it would look strange with the couch not centered infront of it. Heres the new design
1z36ou1.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
On the diagram, it looks like you'd want to move the front right speaker more to the right, resulting in the TV being more centered between the fronts.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Jamming a speaker tight into a corner sounds worse than off center.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Trick idea - your fronts don't need to be even with the TV. Why not pull them forward

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks