What's new

Unique HT Design (1 Viewer)

kjdenison

Grip
Real Name
Kurt
Here's what I have so far (That I want to keep)

Sharp Aquos 26" HDTV (Black)
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
Harman/Kardon AVR 135 Receiver

Here's whats unique

In this space I also need to fit a twin sized bed, and figure out a way to setup space for my macbook pro and a 49 key keyboard and an all in one printer.

I just got a refurbished HK 135 from Ebay for $145, so I am going to use that for now How much do you think upcoming receivers with HD Audio formats will go for? Not sure how running video into your receiver is important either? I would like a full HD setup, but I'm not sure how much that will cost.

I will not be able to play my system very loud because I have neighbors on the other side of the wall, but I can play it at a decent level. So whats most important is that when running at lower levels the system is incredibley clean and crisp. I don't need something boomy or loud.

I wouldn't mind having bigger bookshelf speakers instead of smaller satelites, but I'm guessing bookshelfs won't be the best bet for lower levels?

I can spend around $1000 give or take. What are some suggestions on putting this together? I also could really use some help on how to set this room up with the bed and everything and still make it smart for a HT. (maybe something to put on walls to keep sound down?)

Thanks!!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm unique, too. If it were just me, I'd put a twin bed in the "dressing area" and hang all my clothes (both pants, and all five shirts) above the bed, and in drawers under the bed.

Then, I'd have the entire "living area" for living.

I'd put the screen/TV against the window, or the wall to its right. then, fit the speakers in according to the "rules" in the Dobly theater setup guide. Other stuff would go where it wouldn't interfere. And, I'd get the computer plugged in to the whole HT thing, too. A nice little radio mouse and keyboard set, and I'd be a happy clicker in a big comfy chair with a drink holder.

If the TV goes in front of the window, you'd probably still have some view, and you could put a bar-height table back near the kitchen so you could see the game while eating or playing cards or whatever.

Go with bigger speakers. In my humble-yet-experienced opinion, anything less than an 8" driver just can't do justice to voice and music.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Whatever you do, the fact that you are designing your entire living arrangement around your HT is awesome!

Don

kjdenison

Grip
Real Name
Kurt

:) ! Isn't it great.

I have been thinking of possibly putting the bed in the 8x5 dressing room area, but I'm wondering how it will fit, the bed is roughly 7x4' so there needs to be enough room to get around into the bathroom at least. I just need to figure out a way to store my clothes efficiently. There is only 7" height under the bed.

Also if I get some larger speakers will the Harmon Kardon receiver I have be able to push them? Remeber I can't have a lot of volume because of my neighbors.

I am moving into this place October 1.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
'scuse me if I type poorly, I'm just giggling because you also like the "extremely small bedroom" option.

Larger speakers do not need more power. In fact, larger speakers are likely to be more efficient, thus requiring less amplifier power to acheive the same loudness. What you gain with larger speakers is smoothness. One of the reasons that a certain maker of teensy satellite speakers and a small subwoofer gets panned is because those teensy speakers simply can not, under any prodding, produce the full range of vocal sounds, and the sub has to do that work, possibly destroying the audio stage. An 8" speaker can easily get down to the bass guitar range, allowing the subwoofer to do only truly deep bass.

As for the bed - you can put the clothing on wrap-around shelves up high, and stand on the bed to get them (if you're short like me) or you can put the bed on top of some cabinets, leaving room to reach in under the bed. A lower bed will leave more room to squeeze around it, though. A very low futon bed, nearly at the floor, leaves all kinds of room.

A normal twin bed is usually 6'-3" to 6'-6" long, and 3'-6" or so wide. If you can cram the bed in the corner to the bottom left in your drawing, I think you could squeeze in around it to the bathroom. You might consider some arangement where the bed can fold up against the left wall, or a futon bed that bends up into a sofa, creasing the mattress long ways.

I've lived in some mighty tight spaces (no mroe, thank goodness. I have about 450 sq ft dedicated to the theater now)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, you may want to wait a while to replace that receiver with one that can "fully" take advantage of the HD portion of your requirements, mainly due to 2 things...1) your budget and 2) the fact that hdmi1.3 does not arrive for a few months on receivers. Yes, you can take advantage of HD now using the current DD & dts formats, as well as DD+, and pcm5.1 (blu-ray only) but not DDtrueHD or dtsHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks