What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
When Cecil B. DeMille left theater behind, he would begin his career as a director with a Western (and the very first movie ever made in Hollywood), The Squaw Man (1914). Over the course of the next several years, he would turn out several westerns before moving on to scandalous dramas and biblical epics. When he returned to Paramount Pictures in the 1930’s, he also returned to the Western genre a couple more times, with Union Pacific being one of them. Previously released on DVD as part of the Cecil B. DeMille Collection by Universal, Kino has licensed the film for its Blu-ray debut.

Union Pacific (1939)

Released: 05 May 1939
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 135 min

Director: Cecil B. DeMille
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance

Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Akim Tamiroff
Writer(s): Walter DeLeon, C. Gardner Sullivan, Jesse Lasky Jr...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wonderful review. I have always had this movie on my lists of bests. It’s sure an adventure film that will entertain many.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review. Your video presentation grade is slightly higher than mine of 3.75. My brief review can be found here. I didn't compare it to the DVD, but the German 2017 Blu-ray from Koch. IMO, both Blu-rays are derived from the same scan/transfer. You're right, it's probably the best we're ever going to see on home video. This movie has been a personal favorite of mine since I was in grade school. It's probably the first movie in which I fell in love with Barbara Stanwyck as an actress. It was probably around the time "The Big Valley" TV series started in 1965, as I remembered having a conversation with my father about her as a young actress compared to her older self on the TV series. Her screen chemistry with Joel McCrea was really good and Robert Preston held his own as he was only 21 years old when he made that film. McCrea was 33 and Stanwyck was 32.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks