Uninterruptable Power Supply (ups)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Mc, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Don Mc

Don Mc Auditioning

I'm new to this forum, and I hope this question is appropriate. Is a ups recommended for a home theater? If so, which components should be connected to it? I have a 4dtv satellite receiver, Yamaha RX-596 AV Receiver, Onkyo DV-C600 DVD player, Sony MDP-600 Laser Disc Player, Pulsar Front Projection TV, and a Klipsch KSW-12 Powered Subwoofer. I am eventually going to add a S-VHS Video Recorder. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I use one and have my RPTV, receiver, and Tivo all plugged into it. The rest of my stuff just connects to the surge protection outlets or the back of the receiver. I used it mainly because every now and then the power blinks in my apartment and I didn't like the effect it had on the receiver and TV. I haven't noticed any change in the sound or video as a result of doing this. I don't know if it helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt and is probably providing extra protection from spikes and drops in the power.

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I use a UPS as well. The power where I live is so bad, it is a necessity. I’m not sure if it is “recommended” but I have had no problems. I do not have as much equipment as you do though. I have a receiver (100x5 W), DVD player, 27” TV and 250W Sub.
    The main problem is determining what size unit is needed. UPSs are rated with VA. This is different than Watts because of the reactive nature of the equipment electronics. It gets kind of technical, I am not sure what the efficiency ratio is for A/V equipment. UPS are designed for computers so their calculation formulas are probably not applicable. I gave myself a good buffer for power allowance, probably overkill as the unit doesn’t even break a sweat.
    There are several types of UPSs. Most are called “standby UPSs”. These units switch over to the battery when the power fails or dips below a certain level. I use what is called an “online UPS”. It always runs off the battery, so there is no switch time. This has the added benefit in that the power to the equipment is pure. Perfect sine wave, no dips or surges due to the AC generator from the battery (DC). The pure AC makes the sound much cleaner. I can hear new levels of detail, especially in the higher frequencies. The down side is cost. The smallest unit I found was 1000VA around the $500 range. I bought the 1500VA unit. It also has a cooling fan which is kind of loud and may be noticeable during quiet passages.
    One word of caution though is never hook a surge protector into a UPS. If they must be used in conjunction, plug the UPS into the surge. Many UPSs have built in surge. How good it is can vary quite a bit from model to model.

4. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I heard that UPS are even better than power conditioners, is that true? But, do UPS's even CLEAN up the power? I'm talking about your standard UPS, like those offered from APC...

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've never compared the stats of a UPS to a power conditioner, but some of the UPSes do provide Automatic Voltage Regulation (as the box of my Belkin claims). I would guess that is about the same thing. Basically my understanding is that you are actually running off the batteries which provide nice clean power. So if you go looking for one, make sure it can support a lot of juice.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

7. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I got a very good deal on some new 2400 VA interactive UPS units and use them for my HT as well. The do regulate input power, filter the power, and in the event of power failure provide sine wave output. I've not noticed a difference in the sound and like the level of protection they offer. To top it off, they ended up costing me less the a the average power conditioner!
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

9. Don Mc

Don Mc Auditioning

I appreciate your response. May I ask, Where did you get your UPSs? My "theater" would probably need 1000va at a minimum. Like you said, most equipment is rated in watts while UPSs are rated in VAs. The September 2001 issue of PC World has an article about UPSs for computers, but if I remember right it told how to convert watts to va.

10. Don Mc

Don Mc Auditioning

Where did you get your 2400VA UPSs?

11. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  12. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I got one on ebay, and the rest by contacting the company I originally ordered from. Another brand to consider is Powerware. I'm not sure of the exact company organization, but Invensys sells Best Power and Powerware UPS units both under these names and as OEM products. Compaq, Unisys, NEC, Deltec, NetUPS branded units include the same units that Powerware sells as model 5119. They have won awards including PC Magazines Editors Choice. On occasion you can find these under a less popular name like Deltec on ebay. Because the name is not well known, few people find them to bid on,and they end up going very cheap. I can let you know more information Tuesday or I may have one you may be interested in. The Deltec 2400VA (1600 Watt) units I got were all new, sealed in their original boxes with all the cables, etc. If looking, keep in mind there are high voltage models out there, be sure to get a 120V unit.
    See: http://www.powerware.com/Products/5119/product.asp
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...
    [Edited last by Westly T on August 13, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

13. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Don Mc, I sent you the information in an e-mail. The guy I got it from only has one left, let me know if you want it.
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater