Unibox - Max Power Input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Leitch, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

I am using Unibox to model some subs I am planning on making (18x18x24, sealed, with the Adire DPL12 driver). Everything looks good... I can see the tradeoffs of going to a Shiva or a Tumult... however, there is one thing I do not get. It implies the max input power to keep the driver in the linear excursion range is on the order of 50 watts. I found this a bit surprising... does this essentially mean I do not need an amp with major cojones to power these and can go for a fairly run of the mill (say, 100 watts into a 4 ohm load) amp... or am I misreading things?

Thanks.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The DPL12 will dig really deep in a sealed box of low/med Q like you have planned. It really doesn't take all that much power to get it to max excursion down really deep, which is what Unibox is telling you. It's probably basing this on the excursion at 10Hz, where excursion gets extreme (and which I wouldn't worry all that much about), but I found that a good 150 watts (from a discontinued PE 300-800 amp w/ no boost or rumble filter) worked extremely well for my 5ft^3 DPL12 sealed box. You're going with a pair of subs if I recall, so a good quality stereo ampo will make you very happy. Doesn't have to be really special, but a used Adcom GFA-555 would be spectacular.

3. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jack (again ;-)... I was going to go the pro amp route (Samson S1000's are relatively cheap) but I would rather get something more versatile like the Adcom (or something comparable with balanced in's and a 12 volt relay...and *no* fan!).

I will say the author of Unibox did a really nice job...

mark.

4. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Recall that Unibox states frequency response with pure sinusoidal signals. With normal music, especially complex music, the available power from your amp would be spread across the power spectrum (of the input signal), so extra amp headroom won't hurt [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Isaac