Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Alexander, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Did anyone catch this on PBS? It was a very well done documentary based on the life and times of the first black heavyweight boxing champion. As I was watching it, I was amazed at how some aspects of history can be totally forgotten. I had never heard of Jack Johnson before, but I'm glad I know now. Excellent job by both Samuel L. Jackson and Billy Bob Thornton. DEFINATELY RECOMMENDED VIEWING - And I'm not even a boxing fan! I'm buying the DVD on Monday. I know some others here saw it. What did you think?

2. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I watched this as well, on PBS HD even. I also really enjoyed this documentary and learned quite a bit from it. While I had heard of Jack Johnson I didn't know much about him, so it was great to learn about this man and his fascinating life. I definitely recommend trying to catch the reruns.

Heads up, there are 2 parts, each 2 hrs long, so make sure you watch Part 1 (Rise) first.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i saw it earlier this week as i was channel surfing i watched both parts on PBS-HD. At times it was comical watching movies from the early 1900's in HD.

As a boxing fan it was interesting to see how much the sport has not changed in almost 100 years. It was a very enlightening look at boxing for anyone that is interested.

4. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    You know, I was going to start this thread last week. I couldn't believe that no one had posted on it yet. Very well done documentary -- pretty sad too. It's amazing the level of ignorance there was, (and sadly still is today) in regards to race. It was great to see all of the old footage. The footage of Johnson vs Jeffries was an eye opener and a half, what a one-sided fight.

Burns is great. His love of players, people, or eras shines through in his work. But he's not afraid to show the warts too.

Doug

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Today WETA here in the DC area broadcast both parts this afternoon so I was able to record it. Earlier they broadcast "The Great White Hope" which certainly made for a nice package.

6. Kevin Alexander

You can get the 4-hour DVD at Costco for $14.99

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Another great film by Ken Burns!

Rob

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Although I'm not really a big boxing fan I have always been fascinated by Jack Johnson and the injustices that were done to him.

When I saw the DVD at Costco last Friday I just couldn't pass it up. It really is a very good film and I have been recommending it to everyone.

9. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I only got to see part of Part 1 on PBS HD last week but I really appreciated what I saw. I'll try to pick up the DVD this week.

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Robert Harris started this thread about the documentary in the HT Software forum section last week.

11. Kevin Alexander

Thanks for the link Glenn. I had no idea of Robert's thread. I guess I should check out some of the other sections more often.:b