What's new

"unexpected Exception"? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
In connection with Cd burning using Nero Express - What the heck is this meaningless message?

Tried today to burn a cd compilation prepared yesterday, and got this "unexpected exception" message. Other various messages. "An unsupported operation was attempted". Everything else I have tried has failed to clear reoccurrence of these messages.

I am using Nero Express on Windows ME

I did get Nero to go to the stage of calculating volumes on the tracks. And on one attempt got a "Buffer underrun activated" message (which is the first time on this system)

Then it immediately jumps to a "Burn successfully completed"

Tried reboot. But the problem reoccured.

Tried power completely off, then Restart, then ran defrag. System resource indicates 82%

Still the same Nero messages, and no success.

So removed and reinstalled Nero. Same thing.

Tried ME System Restore. The process (my first real look at it) looked helpful, and it started, with my choosing a date from several days ago (when I was succesfully making cds). Went smoothly til the point where it said Restore unsuccessful, because there had been no changes to the system. (I just had a fresh reinstall of ME a few weeks ago.)

Does that indicate a reinstall of Windows is of no value?

Any other guesses or advice for a next step? Thanks

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm I had a similar problem to yours a couple of years ago, running Windows ME. I think it was caused by a bad CD-ROM drive that was interfering with my CD burner (they were sharing the same IDE cable).

Try removing any other drives connected to the same IDE cable as your CD-burner. If your boot drive and your CD-burner are on the same cable, try moving the CD-burner onto its own dedicated IDE cable and see if that helps.

Windows ME is a finicky beast...good luck to you!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks Max. The computer with the problem does have a separate CD-RW as well as a plain CD-rom, but it has worked until now with this configuration.

There may have been some kind of power fluctuation, as breakers were tripped in the house by a carpenter working nearby, but it wasn't on the circuit the computer is on, so I don't think it could be a cause?

I'm not competent to look inside myself, but I appreciate the tips and will let my Guru (brother-in-law) know of the suggestion. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks