What's new

Uneven Widescreen Distortion (1 Viewer)

Jamie_R

Auditioning
I hope this makes sense to you guys...

I noticed tonight while watching a 2.35:1 film on my Panasonic PT-47WX42C (47" widescreen) that the widescreen 'black bars' are unevenly distanced from the top of the screen. By this I mean that the far right side of the top black bar is approx. 2 1/2 inches from the top of the screen while the far left side is only about 2 1/4 inches from the top of the screen.

The problem also affects the bottom black bar, with the right side being farther up from the bottom of the screen than the left.

I tried a couple of different films and discovered they all had the same problem.

I suppose one might say these 'dimensions' mean that the film is shaped like an arrow pointing to the right (though nowhere near that extreme... it is barely noticecable to the eye).

I played with the convergence menu but that only shifts the blues, reds, and greens. I have no idea how to access the 'service' menu. It might be worth noting that while doing the green line convergence I am supposed to make a green vertical line meet to vertical markers etched onto the frame surrounding the screen; however, it is impossible to make the line meet both markings as when it is centered on the bottom one (for example) it is slightly right of the top one (and vice versa). I also have a similar problem lining up the horizontal green line with the horizontal markings during the same convergence test. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Can this be fixed by using the Avia disc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
This is a problem that I noticed when I first purchased my Toshiba widescreen TV as well. Don't worry; it isn't anything to to be too concerned about. It can easily be corrected by adjusting the convergence grid in the service menus. You'll have to figure out a way to get into it, since I am unfamiliar with Panasonic RPTVs.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that www.panny.tv would have information that would be of use here. And you can actually order the service manual from Panasonic at (800)833-9626 (US phone #).
Me

Jamie_R

Auditioning
Thanks guys! I will give Panasonic a call and see if I can start getting at those service menus.

By the way, would the Avia guide be of any help?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Avia will most certainly make your TV look better. If anything, it will help you properly set the basic levels for contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness. That can go a long way in getting the best out of your TV. If you don't have a copy already, get one.

Will it help you eliminate the uneven black bars? Not really. Basically, you just need to get into the service menus and mess around with the convergence grid until you get the lines to be as straight as you can make them. I'm not sure Avia would be of much help in this regard.

For the best results though, look into having your TV calibrated by a professional ISF technician. It may be a bit expensive, but believe me, the difference will be worth it.

Jamie_R

Auditioning
I just ordered the Avia so I am hoping for good results on that end.

I went to panny.tv and downloaded the service manual. To fix the convergence grid, will I need to make a pincushion adjustment? Will this require removing the cabinet back cover? In the pincushion adjustment instructions it says to cover red and blue lenses... will I need special covers for this?

As for getting an ISF technician in to look at my set, I live in a fairly remote area and, unfortunately, there are none around.

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks