1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Uneven brightness?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tam Jen Yee, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

What is uneven brightness?

2. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

On my old Wega XBR250, it showed up as a vertical strip (about 5" wide) that was on the left side of the screen. During dark scenes, this strip would be dark as it was supposed to be, but the rest of the screen would be brighter. The screen would be progressively brighter the closer it got to the right side.
    I never noticed it until I read about it. Then I couldn't take my eyes of it during dark scenes.

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The older the Wega, the worse the problem. On my 36" KV16 it's a black area on the left side, folowed by a much larger middle section that is less dark, followed by a smaller right section that is brighter and washed out, mostly towards the bottom.
    Also, bright objects cast a kind of shadow across the screen! Absolutely unacceptable when watching DVDs and one reason why this set will go back to Sears next week, to be replaced by the 47" Panasonic HDTV.
    I checked out the newer XBR450 and the slightly lesser models in the KV line that are charcoal on color and none had near the brightness problem of the eariler KV lines. It was very difficult to spot any difference at all in the brighness from left to right and when you did, it was very subtle. A marked improvement, so anyone looking at the new line of Wega/XBR's, if it's charcoal in color, you should be a-OK.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman