What's new

Uneven black bars at top and bottom? (1 Viewer)

David Ugan

Auditioning
Hi all....ok, here's the deal - when watching widescreen movies that don't take up the whole screen on my widescreen tv, there's obviously black bars at the top and bottom. However, I've noticed this before that alot of times the top bar is alot thinner (maybe 2 inches) and the bottom bar is thicker (maybe 4 inches)....i thought each bar should be equal, i.e. the picture is right in the center of the screen. Then last night, i checked the bars at two different points in the movie. One time, the bars were unequal, the next they were equal....whats up with this?? please advise as i hope its not something serious...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Make sure you are watching the DVD's with the view mode set to "Full". Some widescreen sets have a mode that allows you to stretch/crop the picture and then scroll up or down to allow you to view a ticker or sports score at the top or bottom of the screen. Toshiba's have this mode and call it "Theaterwide 3". If you do not change to "Full" mode, watching a DVD in this mode can cause uneven bars because the screen is scrolled up or down.

Other than that, it may just be a mastering error on the DVD. What TV (brand and model) do you have? What DVD's are causing this problem?

David Ugan

Auditioning
yep, it's definitely set to full - i never use the other zoom or widescreen features....i have a sony 51" widescreen, about 1 and a half year old.....i've noticed it on a bunch of dvds not just a few...it's no biggie as it doesn't affect my viewing and really, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't even notice it....but still, i find it weird....i mean, on any regular set that i used to watch widescreen movies on, the picture would always be in the center of the screen.....watcha think?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Get a copy of Video Essentials, there is a test pattern (used for sharpness) that will show you the overscan on all four sides. This will clearly tell you whether the set needs to be adjusted, and worse, in your case, whether the set is drifting somehow when warming up. Adjusting the overscan should be a simple fix, if not easily found on the internet, you can order the service manual. On my Toshiba, it's HSIZ, VSIZ, and HPOS, VPOS, to move and squeeze the picture.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
What Perry said. VE has a sharpness test pattern and a overscan test pattern. Sounds like your picture is not center from top to bottom. What will freak ya is when you put the test pattern up and see that it's not centered left to right either!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

David Ugan

Auditioning
sounds good! ok, now target (i have a gift card there) has 2 video essentials...Digital Video Essentials for $18
(looks like strictly for video/tv) and Digital Essentials for $45...both by Joe Kane...my audio is pretty much calibrated...can i get the cheaper one that just focuses on video?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
DVE is actaully the newer version of the original VE, at a much cheaper price point. It includes audio as well as video calibration, but does have an error in the sub calibration tone (do a search, it has been discussed at length here). For $18, you can't go wrong with DVE.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Panasonic RPTV. It has a function called image shift that causes this. It is to help prevent burn in. I noticed the black bare much smaller than the bottom and turn it off and that fixed it. If your tv has this function you may want to try turning it off to see if that is it first. It may save you a head ache.

David Ugan

Auditioning
thanks guys...very helpful information....harold, i'll definitely look for that first.....i'm going to pick up DVE anyway...only $18!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks