Unemployment in Seattle

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Jones, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello Everyone,
    I have to vent about something that is starting to take over every aspect of my life...unemployment. I moved to Seattle a little over four years ago and during a time of amazing prosperity. The high tech sector was going crazy and small companies were popping up everywhere. This is one of the main reasons that I left my consulting job in Northern Virginia and moved to Seattle.
    I was working as a software engineer for a small start-up company that was later purchased by Intel. I was promoted three times in three years (something that never happens at Intel) and have over three years of Program Management/Technical Leadership experience. I was the manager of a seven person engineering team responsible for the successful deployment of over sixteen release cycles of our products and services. I had developed an amazing career and was well on my way to upper management with Intel.
    Fast forward a few months and Intel decides to shut down their Seattle operation (along with many other groups) in an effort to cut costs and lift their falling stock price. I am given a generous severance package and I enter the job market. This was on July 16th. I have been unable to find work in the Seattle area for six months! I am very skilled, experienced and have amazing references, yet I am unable to find work. My fiancé recently moved out here and loves it. We don’t want to move but might end up having no choice.
    Sorry to complain, I’m normally a very positive person. Is anyone else is in the same predicament…misery loves company [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I was there last year -- I was only out of work for three months, but I understand what you're dealing with.
    And there are *many* in the same predicament, which is why you're having trouble landing a new job. There are plenty of qualified, skilled, competent people that have just been laid off, and not a whole lot of openings to go around. About a month before I got laid off, a big local e-tailer went under and spewed dozens of people onto the local (small) market looking for exact same job I was, so the pickings were mighty slim. Fortunately, I found something good through connections at the job *before* the one that laid me off. So always use whatever contacts you have.
    I'm not in a position to hire anyone [​IMG], so there's not much I can offer other than the fact that you're definitely not alone. Best of luck.
    Ryan

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There's another Seattle-area HTFer who was laid off some months ago. I'd tell you his name, but I don't think it's appropriate. He has mentioned publicly here at HTF that he got laid off, though.

Best of luck, sir. Keep at it. These are hard times all around. I was laid off in September, and found an editorial gig in, oh, November or thereabouts. That, and a major lucrative, long-term freelance contract with another outfit have put me back in action. And I'm talking with some national magazines about doing freelance stories for them.

What I'm getting at is that you might try to find some temporary work with an agency to keep you afloat until something comes along.

Remember, we're in a serious recession right now, and your sector of the economy--high-tech--is particularly hard hit.

I don't blame you for wanting to stay in Seattle. Gorgeous town.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Hey Jeff, I'm with you. In my last position I was the Director of Operations for a networking sector company and was laid off back on May 25th, 2001. With 9/11 happening it made it kind of hard to get a job after I took the summer off, with a great severance package as well.

At least here in Vancouver its picking up. I've been on quite a few interviews and I'll be getting a formal offer from one of them within the next 24hours so it'll come along.

Take care,

Patrick

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeffrey,

That small start-up wouldn't happen to have been iCat would it? I believe we played softball together last summer. My S.O. is Shannon C.

I'm still with the Borg, and she just started with Classmates.com. Drop me an email and perhaps we can assist in the job hunt.

T

6. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Somehow I got lucky and still have my job through 4 rounds of lay-offs. I'm also lucky that my company, N2H2, is even still around. Back when the bubble started to burst we were on the top of many experts lists to go down first. But somehow we're still here. Since we made it through the toughest time, I think we're going be around for a long while.
    I did have a lot of friends who got laid off and still have yet to find jobs. Those who did are working at places like Bartell Drugs and Suncoast Video, places where you're making less than unemployment would pay you to sit on your ass. Out of all the people I know who left, only two found decent jobs in the Seattle area. But even one of those didn't last and they ended up getting laid off again.
    It's a tough time. I know many smart, talented, well educated people that don't have jobs or that are working jobs that are beneath them. Hang in there!

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Jeffery,
    I was in the same boat this time last year. The good news is the company I'm with now is hiring!
    If you (or anyone else here) has experience in
    Java Development
    Oracle SQL
    UNIX (HP, Sun)
    - send me an email [email protected]
    It's not management, but it's waaaaaaaaay better than unemployment. We are a IT consulting company located on the eastside (Kirkland), but have clients downtown as well.

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I feel your pain. After surviving several rounds of layoffs, I was finally let go about seven weeks ago. I haven’t had a single interview, and there are no prospects in sight. I never thought I’d see the day when software engineers with 20 years of experience would be a dime a dozen.

I hope things pick up soon.

9. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

10. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Last summer I was planning on moving to Portland Oregon to look for computer work. I was born in Eugene.
    Even before Sept. 11th it was getting pretty bad there. I would frequently check www.computerjobs.com and Portland had the fewest jobs of any city listed. I eventually decided to stay in Canada and look for work in Calgary.
    It has been a tough couple of months but I have finally landed a job. There are few jobs and many, many people applying.
    Things can only get better.
    Good luck to us all.

11. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I just moved to Seattle from Anchorage - last summer. Bad timing, eh? Well, the weather was gorgeous, but not exactly the best time to try and jump into the job market.
    On the plus side, while I have a fair amount of computer experience, I'm primarily self-taught, have no certifications or degrees, and am primarily a Mac-head, so I didn't even bother trying to break into the tech market when I got down here. Instead, I went to a temp agency (Today's - while it's not tech-oriented, if anyone's job hunting for office work I'd highly recommend them) and they got me set up working for Xerox, contracted out to run the copy room at Arthur Andersen's downtown Seattle office (and before you ask, I know nothing - I'm just the copy goon, and learn more from reading the papers than from anything internal).
    Now, though, I'm pretty tired of 10+ years 'pushing the green button', and am starting to put out feelers as far as entry-level tech spots. No hits yet, but I'm not in a big rush, since this positions paying my rent for the time being.