What's new

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
No BeckinSale = No Sale!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/6e/htf_imgcache_35519.jpeg] [/url]

Trailer looked interesting though and Rhona Mitra made Doomsday watchable... I'll wait for the DVD too.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well I had heard of Mitra being in this movie and due to her strong resemblance to Beckinsale I had assumed she was playing her character.
Based on trailer I saw 2 days ago looks like she is playing a different charater: Viktor's daughter. Looks interesting. likely wait for it to play on the movie network.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yeah, from what I understand this is a prequel and the character Selene is not the focus. That's if she's in it at all. It still looks very good and I'll go see it. You never know what surprises a movie franchise can throw at you.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you've seen the first movie -- and TNT has shown it about a million times -- it tells how things turn out for her and Mr. Lycan. I wonder if they will tinker with the story.

(The actor that plays Lucian, Michael Sheen, is the father of Kate Beckinsale's daughter, and according to Wikipedia, the two split during the filming of Underworld; she eventually married the director. I am obviously in the wrong business.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love this franchise. I like the concept, the story, the look, and the creatures. Also, these films seem to have some of the best sound design. Saw this on DVD last night and was kind of freaked out when Lucian wolfed out in the woods and roared, the sub rattled my closet door! Usually that only happens with the biggest explosions.

That said, prequels are always at a disadvantage because the audience always knows what happens in the later films and who has to survive. The big climactic fight between Viktor and Lucian was rather boring, as you know both have to survive as they both appear in the other sequels. Also, as Ken noted, we all knew the ending to the Lucian/Sonja story.

But it was fun seeing the vampires first lair, the council in action, the huge pack of werewolves, the nobles who serve the vampires, and Bill Nighy is always a treat in a villain role. The collars they use to control the Lycans were pretty ingenious. I was wondering how one would be able to enslave a werewolf.

Hopefully there's more to come in this franchise. I know this last film didn't quite match the others at the box office, but they all fall into pretty much the same area when worldwide grosses are compared. This film cost about $35 million (chicken feed for a major genre FX film in today's film-making marketplace) and should have returned about $50 million in worldwide theatrical rentals. So, hopefully there was a tidy profit and the desire to continue the franchise when DVD sales and other ancillary streams were counted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks