What's new

Underworld DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
and is that a sweet looking cover or what??

I liked this flick too.....great looking transfer and reference sound.....I'm not sure a superbit could improve much on it...and some decent bonus features makes this a worthwhile purchase IMO

very satisfied customer

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
The audio track in this DVD is TOPS ! Though heavy in the
LFE department yet the dialoque and the surrounds are crisp
and clear.A real test for one's HT system.

What ever comments like I love or hate this movie from
fellow enthusiats it's just ENTERTAINMENT guys.

For me I LOVE it !

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Possibly the "Donnie Darko" for 2004, even with the slightly higher price point than Darko.

Enough said about the movie already. I'm a proactive blind buyer and I'm sorry I wasted the $4 rental fee before getting this title today.

Comparisons to Blade, Resident Evil and such aside, I felt that this movie bested each of these in just about all areas - although I enjoyed Blade II's DTS mixing a bit more. Excellent DD sound track throughout the movie, decent story, thicker than the average popcorn action plot with enough surprises to keep the interest alive until the end. There are a few holes to ponder, but otherwise, a fun ride and a very good DVD to boot. Cheers!

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Well, I rented this last night -- and I am amazed. Amazed at the great reviews you guys are giving this! Though it had a few good moments and I felt the story had some potential, it just got increasingly silly as it went on.

Amongst the many things that I didn't like:
1. Unlimited supply of bullets (with a "fired to hit" ratio worse than a platoon of Storm Troopers).
2. UV bullets? And silver nitrate bullets that take 10 minutes to actually kill (conveniently leaving the victim with plenty of time for further plot contrivance)?
3. Disappointing Lycan design. They looked less like wolves and more like Urak-Hai. (And since when do werewolves scamper along walls & ceilings like giant cockroaches?)
4. Ditto for the design of the Hybrid Michael. Expecting a super cool-looking monster, I got instead Nightcrawler with a pronounced ribcage.
5. Terrible stunt fight choreography in the final battle between Viktor & Hybrid Michael. Their punches don't even come close to connecting with one another on many occasions (though they sure react like they do).
6. Shane Brolly as Kraven. Possibly the absolute WORST performance by an actor I've seen in recent memory.

I could go on, but I think that's enough....

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys, Just picked it up at CC, last day of it being $15.99 and all based on Ron and all your reccomendations...
Seemed up my alley and I was psyched when it was coming out theatrically but then I saw the reviews were mostly negative. 30% at rotten tomatoes and only 19% of the cream of the crop critics... That's pretty low, but after reading this and some other threads, I am optimistic. Often these type of films get mixed to bad reviews and I wtill enjoy them.

:) Dave Mack, freezing tonite in NYC....

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I bought this blind too and it was one of the best blind purchases I've made in quite awhile. I really had a lot of fun with this one.

A couple points I was happily suprised about,

-There really is no love story angle. I was dreading sitting through a cheesey Romeo and Juliet vampire/werewolf love angle and was thrilled when one never really materialized.

-I can see the Blade comparisons that were made, but I didn't really get a Matrix vibe at any time during the show. I think this movie stood well enough on it's own that it didn't deserve some of the flak it got for being a Matrix or Blade knockoff.

Now did someone mention earlier in the thread that their might be a sequel? The movie certainly seemed to imply that their could be one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
JohnE - Yeah I believe I read it at Comingsoon.net that a sequel was in the works. Like I said if it is only half as good as the first it'll be a sure hit. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Oh, he was horrible. Hard to believe that anyone would trust him with any kind of athority. It felt like amateur hour.

That being said, I enjoyed the film. I enjoyed the plot, and Kate in black leather.

Jason

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I will say this: This DVD appears to be a nice selling success because all the usual retails stores I frequent had a scarcity of this title (in comparison to the other new releases for this past week).

JasonRH

Second Unit
Patrick,
I noticed the same thing in my area. Sold out everywhere I checked. I was surprised to see that. Unfortunately that means all the Fullscreen releases sold as well. I wish they would do bad business on those releases.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
C'mon, she was constantly putting new bullets in her guns. She did it several times on-screen. It's not hard to imagine that she was also doing it off-screen. BTW, why did Michael become a hybrid after Selene bit him? She's not an elder vampire.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, finished it. enjoyed it quite a bit, but MAN, that was one of the worst acting jobs I've ever seen!!! Y'all know who I'm referring to...

:) Egads, I hope he's not in the sequel...!

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
There must be something wrong with my system. This DVD sounded horrible on my setup. The movie opened with that big bass note and the intros before the movie sounded great. Once they got into the shootouts in the subway the sound was really muddy the guns didnt have that crack like they should. Another example was when Kate peaked around the corner and the train went by. That scene was totally underwhelming from what I thought it should be like, it didnt even startle me. Dialog was very good though. I know its probably a callibration problem. But all my other discs that I consider to have great sound are perfect. Like FOTR, Two Towers, Gladiator, Fight Club, Matrix, Blade,
Saving Private Ryan.

As far as the movie goes I lost interest when the Werewolfs were chasing Kate and that guy through the hallways like they were cockroaches or something. You would have to be running pretty fast to be running parralel to the floor not to fall over. Come on.

I was really excited about this movie and maybe my expectations were to high. Glad so many other people enjoyed it though.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Well, Kraven is still alive. He will most probably be in the sequel. He's one of the key characters. I agree, though, the actor is very bad.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

I'll agree that she does reload her guns several times on screen. However, if you re-watch the scene where she first meets Corvin, you'll notice that she shoots dozens of rounds at the lycans in the hallway and still has plenty of bullets to make a hole in the floor, without re-loading. Very stylish, yes. But there's no way a pistol could hold that many rounds.

I've only seen this once, however. I may be remembering it wrong.

However, despite this (and other) flaws, I still found this to be very enjoyable.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
...or that in many films featuring gunfights, the "bad guys" always shoot dozens and dozens of rounds without ever hitting the "good guys", even thought they're in plain view?

...or that during the same gunfight combatants are shielded from high caliber projectiles by hiding behind bushes, or furniture, or indoor walls, etc., etc.?

...or that mariachis can fire missles from their guitar cases?

...or that two people can beat each other mercilessly in the face and body during a fistfight for minutes on end, with nothing but a bloody nose to show for it?

...or that vampires and werewolves truly exist and are waging an age-old bloodfeud in the streets right under our very noses? :D

I think that I've seen things of this nature so many times that it barely registers any longer. The gun with the endless supply of bullets is a minor contrivance compared to many inconsistencies in modern film. I think the technique is called "style over substance".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks