What's new

Underworld Awakening - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kate Beckinsale returns to the 4th installment of the Underworld franchise after sitting out the 3rd installment, and unfortunately, it's basically a cash-grab exploiting the fans of the Underworld film series, and the film is no more than an exercise in staging repetitive fights between vamps and lycan, with nary a care given to the script for a coherent and engaging scripts, or developing characters, so it bereft of tension and interesting conflict. So it's all flash, and no substance. I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Kate Beckinsale returns to the 4th installment of the Underworld franchise after sitting out the 3rd installment, and unfortunately, it's basically a cash-grab exploiting the fans of the Underworld film series, and the film is no more than an exercise in staging repetitive fights between vamps and lycan, with nary a care given to the script for a coherent and engaging scripts, or developing characters, so it bereft of tension and interesting conflict. So it's all flash, and no substance. I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
I agree entirely that there is too much action in this new one - and it is ridiculous that nearly all the action takes place in the same location - but it did not feel like a cash grab to me. It felt like they just did not spend enough months developing the story and coming up with dramatic moments. If there had been three or four scenes with just character-building drama, it would be an excellent film. Without them, it is a bit thin, but it still has some almost-dramatic moments which suffice well enough. It's better than the second Underworld film. IMO the ranking from best to worst is now: 1,3,4,2. I don't think it is possible to "exploit the fans" by giving the fans another film, from the original writer/director, and with the original star. A cash grab would be a film with the Underworld title but with none of the people involved in the series originally cashing in on its reputation.

Al_S

Second Unit
I have to say I really liked this one. I saw it on an IMAX screen and other than it being really over the top loud it was quite enjoyable. It is what it is a good popcorn movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks