What's new

Underwater (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Based on what I remember, I'm not so sure I agree with the hint you referenced, Malcolm. The "little people" we follow don't seem to have a clue about what's going on. That's not to say the higher ups don't know and kept them in the dark, but I don't recall any evidence of that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. I think any nefarious purpose would have been hidden from the workers. It would have been at the top levels of the company (or whatever organization was controlling the company). And as you say, it's all pretty vague in the film. Any ulterior motives of the company are not really explained, and just up to the interpretation by viewers of the news clippings at the start and end of the film (and whatever post-production explanations are offered by the director/writers).

Based on the extras on the disc, the design of the creatures also kept changing through the production, so they may have just been making it up as they went along in an effort to make the film more relevant and interesting to at least one segment of horror fans vs. just a bunch of random, unexplained creatures. The original designs were more mundane and related to well-known sea creatures like octopus and eels.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Finally saw this, on blu, and I thought for about two thirds of the picture it was decent, well made, tense, looked nice, and the cast was good...then you reach the end and it was just bland as all hell. They definitely were tilting their cap a bit to Lovecraft which was a plus but this sort of feels like a film that they chopped up because somebody was unhappy with it. You can feel it was going somewhere but there is no real payoff to it.

On the question about the creatures, it is never explained where they come from or what they are but one character briefly theorizes that the huge drilling operation stirred them up. It does move at a fast pace and so you likely won't get bored and you have two sexy females running around in panties so that's all eye candy.

Is it original? No way but it is mostly well made and the cast is good. In my opinion the ending really stinks.
Does the disc have Dolby Atmos? The rentals at iTunes and Vudu don't have atmos and iTunes has Dolby Vision and Vudu has HDR10.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is one of the last Fox releases inherited by Disney, so I doubt they'll go to any extra effort. It may be available digitally, but I doubt we'll ever see a 4K disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is one of the last Fox releases inherited by Disney, so I doubt they'll go to any extra effort. It may be available digitally, but I doubt we'll ever see a 4K disc.
The 4K digital is on sale at iTunes right now for $9.99.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The one on iTunes is Dolby Vision. It seems like DV is quite common on itunes. I checked on Amazon, and Prime Video doesn’t even say it’s HD, much DV or HDR. Of course I’m sure it’s HD, but you think they’d tell you what. BTW what does the AD))) symbol mean.

I’m leery of DV since the rental looked so bad with a whole bunch of blooming blue that I couldn’t fix.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The one on iTunes is Dolby Vision. It seems like DV is quite common on itunes. I checked on Amazon, and Prime Video doesn’t even say it’s HD, much DV or HDR. Of course I’m sure it’s HD, but you think they’d tell you what. BTW what does the AD))) symbol mean.

I’m leery of DV since the rental looked so bad with a whole bunch of blooming blue that I couldn’t fix.
AD stands for Audio Description.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched this last night and enjoyed it well enough. The production was nicely done, Stewart carried the film serviceably, and I think I could watch Vincent Cassel watch paint dry all day long. For me, he's one of those actors that elevates anything he's involved in just by being there. Things got started quickly and moved along briskly. We were entertained.

However, one thing that really did bother me about the movie was the creature design. In particular...

The fact these things were living at the bottom of the Mariana Trench but were humanoid in appearance. Really? THEN I read a previous post in this thread that quoted the director saying that the "queen" creature is in fact Cthulhu, from Lovecraft's stories. If that's indeed the case, I'm disappointed that they didn't run with the idea. Vague asides to Lovecraft and Cthulhu in the film were SO vague that I didn't pick up on any of it. I think that a slightly more direct approach to this aspect of the story would have helped things a lot. A lost opportunity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks