What's new

Understanding variable bit rates (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
This is more of a technical curiosity than anything else, but every web site that I visit gives me a definition for "variable bit rate". Well, DUH! Could it possibly mean that "variable" means "changing"? Imagine that. :rolleyes

I'm starting to play with variable bit rates now that (from what I understand) DVDit PE has better chapter support for variable bit rate MPEG-2 files, so I'd like to take advantage of that. But I'm just curious about it because I still need to set a bit rate when creating the MPEG-2 file.

What's the purpose of this setting? Maximum bit rate? Average? Optimal? How does the encoder determine the best per-frame bit rate based on this number?

Again, just technical curiosity, but most web sites that I've seen give me the vanilla definition that I already know.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks! I figured that it was more of an average than anything else, but I wasn't sure. Unfortunately, MSP 6.5 appears to be 1-pass VBR. Maybe that's different in v7.0.

As to that last link ... you intentionally wanted to see if my brain would explode, didn't you? :)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Didn't work, huh? :)

If an encoder did two-pass VBR, it would probably mention it prominently, since it is a higher-end feature.

//Ken

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Didn't work, huh?
Nope. :p) I wouldn't give anyone here the satisfaction of letting it work. :D

Oh, well. I think that I've become a VBR convert, though. I kept bumping up the VBR rate to be much higher than a CBR file would have been able to put onto a DVD and it still ended up being a smaller file than the DVD could hold. So, I bumped up the bit rate and re-encoded again. :D

Actually, the DVD (on DVD-RW) is finished downstairs. Time to see how it turned out. My first VBR DVD. { crossing fingers }

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
ime to see how it turned out. My first VBR DVD.
Oh ... my ... God.

I am definitely a VBR convert! The quality of the DVD is absolutely GORGEOUS! I would have had to reduce the CBR rate by several hundred Kbit to fit this on the DVD. I saw absolutely no pixelization either.

{CARTMAN} Swee-ee-ee-eet. {/CARTMAN}

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks