Understanding variable bit rates

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John_Berger, Jun 2, 2003.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

This is more of a technical curiosity than anything else, but every web site that I visit gives me a definition for "variable bit rate". Well, DUH! Could it possibly mean that "variable" means "changing"? Imagine that. [​IMG]

I'm starting to play with variable bit rates now that (from what I understand) DVDit PE has better chapter support for variable bit rate MPEG-2 files, so I'd like to take advantage of that. But I'm just curious about it because I still need to set a bit rate when creating the MPEG-2 file.

What's the purpose of this setting? Maximum bit rate? Average? Optimal? How does the encoder determine the best per-frame bit rate based on this number?

Again, just technical curiosity, but most web sites that I've seen give me the vanilla definition that I already know.

2. John_Berger

[​IMG] Thanks! I figured that it was more of an average than anything else, but I wasn't sure. Unfortunately, MSP 6.5 appears to be 1-pass VBR. Maybe that's different in v7.0.

As to that last link ... you intentionally wanted to see if my brain would explode, didn't you? [​IMG]

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Didn't work, huh? [​IMG]

If an encoder did two-pass VBR, it would probably mention it prominently, since it is a higher-end feature.

//Ken

4. John_Berger

5. John_Berger