Underrated/Overlooked DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Sep 26, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

In your expert (or not-so-expert) opinion, what are some of the most underrated DVDs out there now. That is, some great titles that you just don't seem to hear much about, but yet have a lot to offer.
    I have a few that might qualify as underrated or overlooked......
    > Fail-Safe ... Has a Lumet commentary, orig. documentary, anamorphic transfer, plus some rather oddball subtitles you don't see on many discs (this is important to many people).
    > When Harry Met Sally ... Rob Reiner commentary; new featurette; added footage; 16x9 enhanced; plus a music video. And: one of the cheapest DVDs out there. Can't beat this one for the $$! [​IMG]
    > Stand By Me ... Also with a Reiner commentary (so it must be good [​IMG] ); music video; anamorphic; nice documentary; and an isolated music track. Another winner for me.
    > Dressed To Kill (1980) ... Anamorphic 2.35:1; several featurettes/docs.; animated photo gallery; multiple versions of film on disc; great price for what you get here.
    > The Old Dark House ... I love this 1932 horror classic! Good transfer for such an oldie; 2 commentary tracks included; plus a gallery. "Have a potato." [​IMG]
    > Pit & The Pendulum and Fall Of The House Of Usher (from "Midnite Movies" series) ... Good transfers and a Roger Corman commentary for each film; plus trailers. Two of my favorites.
    Who else shares my thoughts about the above discs? And what other discs would you add to this list?

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

4. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    The best underrated DVD I own is for "The War of the Roses". That DVD had everything from the LaserDisc, which I sadly never owned because I never had a LaserDisc player. It had Danny DeVito's Commentary, the full-length script, deleted scenes with introduction and exit by DeVito, the film's excellent Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots, Storyboards, Drawings by DeVito that he did on the computer, and THX mastered to boot. All this great stuff for under $20. However, it was released the same day as "Moulin Rouge", so it ended up being overlooked last year. If you love this movie and haven't heard about it being on DVD, you should buy it now!

5. Runar_R

Runar_R Second Unit

Don't know if it qualifies as 'overlooked', but the first Infinifilm-title "Thirteen days" is a disc that I think is very impressive in the way it presents the actual historical context of the movie. I haven't seen it done better, yet it never seem to appear on any 'best of'-lists. And the movie is great too. [​IMG]

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Although it gets very good reviews, I don't see The French Connection get touted much on this forum.
    It offers a nice anamorphic transfer (especially for an older film), 2 audio commentaries, 2 very informative 50+ minute documentaries, and deleted scenes.
    5-Star quality all the way.

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

BOB CLAMPETT'S BEANY AND CECIL. A wonderful disc with seemingly endless supplements. I learned more about the man and his contributions to animated films than I ever could have imagined. If you have any interest in cartoons whatsoever, then this disc is a must-buy. The B&C toons are worth it by themselves! Hysterical!

Another one is THE BRADY BUNCH VARIETY HOUR. Not because of the supplements (they're paltry at best) but because it's an invaluable record of what happens when television goes horribly wrong. So entertaining, you can't imagine. SEE! Alice "Do the Hustle"! SEE! Bizarre poetry by special guest star Tony Randall! SEE! RIP FRICKIN' TAYLOR!!! 'Nuff said!

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Arsenic and Old Lace: despite no supplements whatsoever, the video and audio quality is amazing. The movie itself is hillarious and also another great Frank Capra film. It's also a hoot to see Peter Lorre in a comedy!

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist - Sure, the movie can be overlooked as just a dumb parody film...but it is extremely funny. The a/v quality is dead-on (despite the film looking intentionally rough in quality) with plenty of interesting supplements.

Help! - Excellent video tranfer, great, but small supplements. An equal to A Hard Day's Night, IMO.

10. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Donnie Darko is a great DVD. Solid Audio/Video with great deleted scenes and commentaries (by both the filmmakers and actors)
    Requiem for a Dream is another along the same vein of Donnie Darko plus a super cheap price to boot.
    Of course, these DVDs could be underrated because the movies are underrated.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well, I can mention one movie that was SERIOUSLY overlooked by retailers, The Return of the Living Dead!
    I'll always be a little bitter towards major chains for underestimating this beloved classic and not ordering enough copies to meet the demand. The utter anger and frustration I felt after calling place after place after place and being told the same things time after time will stay with me for some time to come. I was told either...
    A. "No, we don't carry it." [​IMG]
    B. "We were supposed to get it but we didn't yet. Try us back on Tuesday of next week." [​IMG]
    C. "We had it but we only got three copies in and they were sold." [​IMG]
    What's worse is that their underestimation of this film may have cost us that big special edition that was planned if this one sold well.
    Well how can it sell well if it's not on shelves to be sold!? [​IMG]
    I'll NEVER rely on the major store chains for a catalog title this obscure ever again that's for sure.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

This one just might qualify........
    [​IMG]

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Used Cars has one of the funniest commentaries of any DVD I own. The three people on the commentary really have fun with this.

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The Rocky Horror Picture Show : Well worth owning just for the proper re-mixed 5.1 soundtrack. Not to mention the other amazing extras. To hear that this failed to live up to its sales projections really depresses me. [​IMG]
    I think TRHPS is the best movie and the best DVD out there.

16. DaveN

DaveN Extra

A Simple Plan - a nice morality tale with some very good acting.
    Election - this one has to be seen to be believed! I imagine some of the new Reese Whitherspoon fans will check it out and get the surprise of their lives [​IMG]
    High Fidelity - John Cusack in one of his best performances. Very well-written dialogue and a couple of great fantasy scenes. Jack Black steals almost ever scene that he is in.
    The Big Lebowski - I know that it is highly revered here and not 'underrated'. However, I love to bring it up because it brings out so many great quotes. "Um, I'm just going to go find a cash machine."
    My $.02
    David

17. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Titus - Spectacular transfer and 5.1 mix, an excellent commentary with Julie Taymor, commentary on selected scenes with Anthony Hopkins and Harry Lennix, isolated score in 5.1 with commentary by Elliot Goldenthal, a 35minute Q+A session with Taymor at Columbia University, a very thorough hour-long making-of documentary, a brief docu on the penny arcade nightmare sequences, the complete text of an American Cinematographer article on the film, costume sketches, and a pile of trailers and TV spots all for $20 or less at most stores. A must-have for fans of the Bard.
    - Guy

18. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

19. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Titanic [​IMG]
    Seriously, they need to re-release "Midnight Run," and release "The Other Side of Midnight" which has never been released on DVD.