What's new

Under the house wiring solution for surrounds - Romex? (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi guys!

So, I am moving and my room...well, for the first time, I am running into serious challenges in hooking up my surrounds. I am actually going from a 7.1 to 5.1 system (which is not that big a loss, but still...it hurts, just a bit)--all axiom audio with SVS sub--and, after doing some searches, it looks like my original idea of going wireless with some powered monitor speakers might not be a good idea. I was thinking about using the audioengine wireless transponders with maybe some M-audio monitors, but it's all very pricey.

But I did notice that the new place I am renting has crawlspace under the house and there are already holes left behind from previous cable tv installations that I might be able to use to run speaker cable through. I tweeted about this idea and a friend suggested I use romex cable instead of standard speaker cable. I did a bit of research and it looks like this is actually power cable and not necessarily intended to be used for sound.

Have you all heard about this? Would you suggest a different solution?

thanks for any advice!

best,
mike

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regular speaker cable will work just fine and it much easier to work with. If you are worried about in-wall rating, then any CL-2 or higher rating speaker wire will work.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Oh, thanks, Robert--this makes a lot of sense..it did seem a BIT overkill...

thanks again!
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks