Under-rated actors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I thought since there was a thread for under-rated movies, I'd post a thread about under-rated actors. Sorry if there was one before, but maybe a new one would be nice.
    Here it goes:
    1. Gary Oldman (yeah, he played Count Dracula and Lee Harvey Oswald... an amazing actor)
    2. Don Cheadle
    3. Kevin Pollak (of The Usual Suspects fame)
    4. James Woods (though I said this in another thread, I'll say it here: He has a genius I.Q. and it shows in his acting)
    5. Marlon Wayans (awesome dramatic acting in Requiem for a Dream)
    6. Keanu Reeves (Good God I'm Kidding!!!!!!!!!!)
    Anyway, I could only think of a few off the top of my head. This list is in no discernable order, however, I think that Gary Oldman is one of the greatest under-rated actors. I would like to see more of him, maybe even in a star-role (not to be confused with a baked good in the shape of a star!).
    any others?
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Gary Oldman under-rated? What freaky parallel universe do you live in?! [​IMG] Gary Oldman is a brilliant actor, and I think everyone and their cat knows it.

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I completely agree that Gary Oldman is not an under-rated actor! He is an extremely good actor, and has been recognized as such. Therefore, he is not under-rated.
    I do think Don Cheadle would be an example of a somewhat under-rated actor.

4. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I personally feel that Gary Oldman does not get the credit he deserves being the awesome actor that he is. Maybe the fact that I do live in the freaky parallel universe that only exists during the solstice when Jupiter is aligned with Saturn is reason why I don't see him on top lists of great actors or other what-nots about him. To me, an under-rated actor is one that is great, but does not get the attention and credit they so deserve while an over-rated actor is one that gets too much attention and credit even though in the end he/she is not really that great of an actor. So, if there are those who do not agree with me that Gary Oldman is under-rated, that's okay. This is my opinion and I don't really think there is enough attention on him. If, however, there is and I just am not seeing it (remember Jupiter and Saturn) then it's my mistake. All-in-all, I really just want other people's opinions on actors they think are great, but not getting the credit/attention/whatever they deserve (ie: under-rated).
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

5. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Wait a minute, do we mean underrated, or merely unappreciated, or worse yet, unknown?

6. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've always liked Brendan Fraser, I think when he wants, and given the right material to work with, the guy's great.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Whoopie Goldberg but that is probably due to the bad films in which she chooses to act. I liked her peformance in The Colour Purple as Celie.

9. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

John Saxon, Kurtwood Smith (Clarence Boddicker from Robocop), and Jeffrey Jones. Dammit, these guys don't get nearly enough credit!!