Under Powered Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonaldO, Mar 4, 2003.

1. RonaldO

RonaldO Auditioning

First my setup: Onkyo 5:1 65watts, Boston tower fronts, JBL center. My wife bought me a small RCA 50 watt 8" sub, I connected it to my sub out and to the subs line level rca in using a "Y" connector. The bass of my system dropped by 50% and I could barely even hear the sub. Was it the sub just vastly under powered or should I not use the line level output?

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Did you adjust the volume of the sub at all? and how did you set it up in the receiver? You should be using the line level so that is ok.

3. RonaldO

RonaldO Auditioning

yes, the sub volume was at full blast and the Onyko has three different sub settings, nothing ever boosted the bass. I have more bass without the sub then with. Think I should try a JBL 10" 150Watt?

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

did you by chance check to see if you had the phase set correctly on the sub, if you're not getting any bass you may have it out of phase with your main speakers which would cancel nearly all audible bass. Also I would ditch the RCA and go with something like a JBL myself to answer that question.

5. RonaldO

RonaldO Auditioning

yup checked the phase, and i did ditch the rca lol

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Also, make sure you change your receiver settings to small speakers.