Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg

Under Capricorn Blu-Ray Review
undercapricorn-poster-1024x800.jpg

Under Capricorn reunites Alfred Hitchcock with one of his best leading ladies, Ingrid Bergman, and features a return of the long take technique he pioneered in Rope, but falls short of his usual high standards. Hitchcock himself apparently considered the film one of his lesser works, and there’s no reason to disagree with the director on that.

[review]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You nailed it with this review, Josh. I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but this film has always been underwhelming to me. That was quite unexpected the first time I saw it -- who would have thought a Hitchcock film starring Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotton could be so bland? The transfer is definitely an improvement over the old DVD, but is still rather mediocre. I actually thought long and hard about whether to upgrade this one, but ended up pulling the trigger. This time my wife watched the film for the first time, and she too thought the movie was rather dull.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
The story is actually good, but considering that both the Cotten and Bergman characters are Irish, the flat mid-Atlantic, slight Southern Cotton accent and Ingrid's Swedish accent doesn't really make total sense.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
While its said that the Director is often his greatest critic, in most cases Hitchcock is right on the money when it comes to what he judged as his biggest misfires (IE: this, Jamaica Inn, and Waltzes from Vienna).

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I have been an Ingrid Bergman fanatic as well as a Hitchcock fanatic since childhood. Having said that, I've never found anything wrong with the performances here, however the film itself invariably suffers in comparison to the two previous Hitchcock/Bergman classics, Spellbound and Notorious.

As for Jamaica Inn, I've always enjoyed it, possibly due to the presence of another of my favorite actresses, Maureen O'Hara, as well as my all-time favorite actor, Charles Laughton, who made everything in which he appeared worthwhile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100