What's new

Pre-Order Under Capricorn (1949)(Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
198863_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Capric...65953&creativeASIN=B07C53ZZXY&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by a moderator:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Boosting this thread because the blu-ray is coming on June 19!

I don't think anyone has posted this from Kino Lorber's Facebook page:

"Kino Lorber Studio Classics: We acquired the film from CBS. BFI handled the 4K scans of the original negatives and we're doing additional color corrections and DRS."

So this has been scanned from the original B/W Technicolor camera negatives?!!
I didn't think that Kino Lorber did much restoration on the titles that they released. Things have changed?

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

"Kino Lorber Studio Classics: We acquired the film from CBS. BFI handled the 4K scans of the original negatives and we're doing additional color corrections and DRS."

I didn't think that Kino Lorber did much restoration on the titles that they released. Things have changed?

Well, it says right there that the BFI did most of the heavy-lifting on this film (one of the few Hitchcock films I’ve yet to see). However, Kino is becoming more involved in the transfers of some of their titles. In addition to color correction and dirt removal on this film, they’re supervising a new transfer of The Big Country which will be out next month and are helping finance a new transfer of For a Few Dollars More and have some control over the color timing on that transfer.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
198863_slip.jpg

This is supposed to be the slipcover for the blu-ray. A peculiar image that doesn't reflect the film at all. However that Hitchcockian swirling curtain in front of the open window certainly is to his taste.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
198863_front.jpg

Wouldn't the blu-ray's front cover have been a little more effective with a black background?

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oh good, this and Jamaica Inn were always kind of orphaned as far as Hitchcock films go (both in public response and general availability). So its nice to see a lot of work is going into 'em.

...that said, how did CBS wind up with the rights?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Oh good, this and Jamaica Inn were always kind of orphaned as far as Hitchcock films go (both in public response and general availability). So its nice to see a lot of work is going into 'em.

...that said, how did CBS wind up with the rights?

Apparently when CBS acquired King World in 2000. It was originally co-produced by Hitchcock and Sidney Bernstein for their production company, Transatlantic Pictures. Filming was at MGM British Studios Borehamwood(UK), Warner Ranch (Calabasas), Canoga Park High School, and the L.A. County Arboretum. Hitchcock said (in the Truffaut interview) that Under Capricorn was such a failure that Bankers Trust Company, which had financed the film, repossessed it, making it unavailable until the CBS network television premier in 1968.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The beaver has screencaps up. It doesn’t look too promising. There are some rather egregious color mis-registration issues.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The beaver has screencaps up. It doesn’t look too promising. There are some rather egregious color mis-registration issues.
Looks like crap! Why would BFI bother with a 4k scan of that? Did the same exec. that worked at Fox during the "lets junk the old nitrates" era also work part-time with the former owners of this property (but with even poorer results)? I think Kino is just a bit mistaken about using the "4K scans of the original negatives" stuff.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/2006/under_capricorn_blu-ray_/large/large_under_capricorn_06_blu-ray_.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Three strips are probably long gone so registration errors aren't a bug, they're a feature.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Much as I dislike this film, I think I'd have enjoyed it more in black and white. Costumes aside, the film is too opulent for its story and the atmosphere it was going for. MHO.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Three strips are probably long gone so registration errors aren't a bug, they're a feature.
Believe it or not, even baked-in registration errors can be eliminated through digital cleanup these days. For instance, Warner Archive no longer uses the expensive ultra-resolution process, but instead manages to restore IPs of some of their Technicolor films. Nevertheless I wouldn't expect anything like that from Kino. Of course I'm still buying the disc because I must have ALL Hitchcock, no matter the quality.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I believe orig negs are fine. All it’s needs is funding. It was a beautiful production
If the original camera negatives still exist then we need to start a gofundme and get Martin Scorsese and the Film Foundation involved. Get this film restored before the nitrate negatives become unusable!
I mean come on people ….. this is an Alfred Hitchcock film (his second Technicolor film!) , lensed by the legendary Jack Cardiff (isn’t this a unique, one-time pairing?) …… starring Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotton!
Can you imagine how this film would look in crisp resolution with fully restored Technicolor? It might trigger a critical reappraisal!

Last edited:

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
With this release all Hitchcock films from his relocation to Hollywood are available on Blu-ray with the exceptions of Stage Fright and Mr & Mrs Smith. Plus at least four of the films from the earlier British period. Surely this makes Hitchcock the director from the classic studio period to be most represented on Blu-ray. Nearly his entire canon.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I watched the new Kino blu-ray last night. It seemed pale and washed out -- sort of like a pastel watercolor/etching that had been left out in the sun -- with red/orange and pale yellows dominating. I have no idea if that's how the film looked when released -- and the disc does have more detail than I've ever seen before. Is this even remotely close to the look that Hitchcock and Cardiff intended?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks