What's new

Under $500 Speakers (2 Viewers)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I have a limit of around $500 for main speakers, using a small sub.
Looking for detailed speakers that are forward but not bright to the point of fatigue. Any suggestions,
thanks in advance

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Way too many to list. Probably a hundred models or so at that range.

Just a few:
Swan 2.1 ($299)
Ascend 170 ($328)
Ascend 340 ($528)
Rocket Cse ($499)
B&W 601 ($450)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Phase Technology Velocity or Teatro series. The PC series would be out of your budget. If you get a chance to listen to Phase Tech, I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

James

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I love the Ascends , but I would also add the following to the list:

Monitor Audio Bronze B2, and I have heard a lot of good things about Epos ELS3.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Aperion Audio are great monitors when used with a sub. Price is 360 for a pair. They are great to listen to and are very attractive which you may or may not care about.

Andrew*L

Agent
You'd have to buy these used, but I like the following in the sub $500 range over anything I've heard new at this price. :wink:

1. Linn Kan / Tukan / Katan monitors.
2. Boston Acoustics VR-M50 monitors.
3. Dynaudio Audience monitors.

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
Axiom M22Ti - $400

or buy factory seconds for $360, they will have minor cosmetic blemishes.

From all the reviews I've read this speaker is hard to beat under $1k.

Paradigm Mini Monitors or Monitor series (not sure about current pricing on these) are also worth considering.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Polk Audio RTiXX or RTXXi series. Towers (RT800i's or RTi70's) or larger bookeshelves (RT55i's or RTi38's). You should be able to find some good used/closeout deals on some of these as they are 1 to 2 series back.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Also check out the Energy C-3. Usually goes for US$500.00/pair, but during a recent sale at my local dealer, I was able to pick a brand new pair for $300.00. I A/B them against the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 and I like the C-3 better....better frequency extension at both ends and sounded better to my years.

Anthony J

Auditioning
A pair of Athena AS-F2s would be extremely nice. I just bought a pair a week ago, I love them. Also too, the Athena AS-F2 are are down to $360 a pair at BestBuy. The AS-F2s have to be the best deal on speakers you can get, or most bang for your buck.

Joey_V

Second Unit

M22 are good $400 speakers, but i feel that $1000 statement is a bit of a stretch (can someone say paradigm reference 20s or 40s?).

i would like to add:
polk lsi7 (go on ebay) for under $500.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You should check out this for sale ad from the forum here. A pair of JBL speakers and the famous Sony sub are for sale at pretty good prices:

FS Thread

Josh Meier

Agent
I second the Fluance recommendation... specifically this set: {SX-HTB... unfortunately I don't have 15 posts yet, so i can't post a direct link).

I just recently go this set, and every single person (including myself) that listens to them is blown away by their clarity and fullness of sound. They are a bit lacking on the low end, but even a half way decent sub can make up for that, and after they are broken in (10 hours) they start producing significantly better bass.

Also, if you want the set for under 300 bucks shipped, bigbangelectronics.com has them for 295 shipped.

I will be posting a review shortly to the forums, just need to finish it up.

AdrianH

Auditioning
JBL S38 Studio Series speakers. Retail for about $500pr, but I was able to find them online for about $300pr brand new. Check out the review on Stereophile.com
stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/365/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks