What's new

Under $2000 projectors and HD (1 Viewer)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

We are moving at then end of the month to a new house with a light controlled basement rec room. I got the greenlight from my wife to get a projector after she saw my father inlaws infocus x1 setup. I will be using it primarily for dvd's. And am considering the x1, the 4805, and the upcoming 5000. I would much rather only spend the $800 for the X1 as we loved tmy father-inlaws, but I will likely be getting HDTV before long and HD-DVD is not far off and I don't like to buy the same thing twice if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Conventional wisdom these days, says to hang in there for the 5000. It is really supposed to be something special at it's price point.

I'm sure the FP guys will be posting in on this soon though.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Over at the avsforum, there are lots of posts stating that people get great results with hd on the x1 even though it is not hd resolution.

Many here have said its simply not possible that hd could look better then dvd on the x1, that the x1 only has svga resolution which is approximately dvd resolution, and therefore hd can only look as good as dvd.

I did read one post that stated while dvd's resolution is approx 800x600, that is only the luminance res and the chromanance res is approximately half that.

If you display hd on the x1 therefore you will see a resolution of 800x600 for both chromanance and luminance and that accounts for improvement people see with hd on the x1.

I would like to hear from others if that is true, because I have only ever read that at the avsforum.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
HD looks great on my X1. I've seen better but this is good enough for me for the indefinite future.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Philip, HD looks great on the X1. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago for $799. I have it hooked up to Dish Network 811 HD receiver. I just watched the Bears kick the Packers butts today in 720p, and I loved every minute of it. I never thought it would look that good with HD.

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim, nice purchase!!, at that price the X1 is a bargain, you can tell us where do you get it, because at buy.com or amazon it's at 900 US$ (899)

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I own a L500 Panasonic HD projector which I purchased online under the price point referenced, I can tell a great difference between good (ie Spiderman SuperBit Version) DVD and HD television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks