What's new

Under $200 5.1 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mark Daria

Grip
Looking to buy a new receiver soon. I'd like to keep it under $200. Since I'm hooking it up to 5 Paradigm Atoms, anything over 60W is basically overkill. So power is not of a concern to me.

I need S-video switching, and Pro Logic II and DTS are major pluses.

Whats out there?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would not even buy a receiver for under $200 new. It probably has ungodly Total Harmonic Distortion, crappy DACs, and horrible amps. If you raise your budget by $100, your options would increase exponentially. Also, if you dont mind being without PLII, you could probably find some good used receivers that would fit your needs. Somthing like a Yamaha 5250 or RXv596, Sony DB830, 840, or 930, Onkyo 595, or a Denon 1801 or 1601. None of these have PLII, but they are all very good in the price/performance department.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yup...the odds are SLIM that you will find such a receiver with all the features you want for $200.

My Pioneer 811 has all those features and more for around $295.

Good luck on your search..
Alfer

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Over 60wpc is definitely not overkill for Atoms, in fact, I would not consider anything LESS than 60wpc to run them cleanly.

I agree with the other two responses entirely, you will want to look in the $300-400 range for a basic receiver. Anything you can get new for $200 will not be worth your time, period. Look at the Marantz SR4200, Denon 1602, Onkyo TX-SR500.

Having said that, for $150 I picked up a very nice used Marantz SR4000 for my bedrooom, so if you are serious about sticking with that budget for the receiver, you should first take a look at used, open box, or refurb gear.

Also, for not much more than the Atoms, you can get 2pairs Axiom M3Tis, which are quite a bit better.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mark, I'll play devil's advocate here and disagree. If you want a cheap receiver that will do 5.1 and DTS, DPLII - not sure about Svideo switching - then take a look at the Pioneer VSX-D411. Unless you have a huge room, listen at levels that will give you migraines (i.e. reference levels), it will drive your Paradigm Atoms just fine. I have a friend who is not an AVphile and he picked up the $200 Pioneer budget receiver (the 510 - last year's model) and he is completely satisfied with it for movies. It is plenty loud in their living room driving 7 speakers of various size (he has two sets of fronts wired up in parallel).

But the other posters are correct in that if you up your budget to $300-$400, many more choices enter into including the higher end Pioneer model - the 811S, the Marantz 4200, the Onkyo SR500, the Denon 1602 or 1802.

good luck,

--tom

Mark Daria

Grip
Think I need to make one thing clear that probably isnt....

This is for a 7x9 dorm room. I'd prefer not to get arrested, so 60-80W is more than enough for me.

I used to have a sherwood 6090R 60x5, and it was more than enough.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hold your horses!!!! Not so fast. I have a nice recommendation but it doesn't have DPLII and I'm not sure about video switching but I personally think that for the price it's hard to be beat.
Click HERE

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mark, well times have certainly changed since I lived in a dorm. All we had was a 13 inch color tv and a boombox :)
Take a look at one of the entry level budget Pioneers. This one does Svideo switching. It's MSRP is $300 but I suspect you can get it on-line for closer to $200-250.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,23596,00.html
This entry level Onkyo also has an MSRP around $300 so you might be able to get that closer to $250 as well.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...=receivers&p=i
good luck,
--tom

Mark Daria

Grip
Thanks! The Pioneer VSX-511 looks like exactly what I need.

Will it drive a pair of Axiom M3Tis, M2Tis for rear and a Axiom center well?

Ash

Auditioning
Hi, Check out the Denon 1802 - it has 70W x 5.1, DTS, DPL II and also S-video/component video. It can input 7.1 channels too. Must be in the same price range.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Actually, if you can bolster your budget up a hundred bucks, you can buy the Marantz 7000 that is for sale in the classifieds here. Plenty of power, sweet sounding unit, has everything you need except for PLII, but with a unit sounding this good you probably wont need it. This was a $1000 receiver when it first came out, and you may be inclined to keepit for a while after you purchase it.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The AVR1802 would be an excellent choice. I couldn't find it for around $200 though, especially with Denon stating that warranties are only valid if purchased through an authorized dealer. Where did you find it at about that price range?

Mark Daria

Grip
You have to understand, I'm on a serious budget here. I'd love to spend hundreds on the receiver alone, but its just not necessary for me yet. I plan on doing so when I graduate and get my own place, but not just yet.

Besides, having anything but computer speakers in your dorm is already pretty excessive, because we live in shoeboxes.

What will the denon offer me over the pioneer aside from more wattage and louder sound?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The denon has better build quality, much better amps, and a cleaner sounding pre section. However, to really take advantage of these things, you need to have reasonably nice speakers and a well set up room. It also gives you more in terms of future expandability.
In your case, it probably won't be worth the extra money (though only you can decide that).
However, if Ash knows of a place to get the AVR1802 around $200, I'd say definitely jump on that.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
everyone seems to think $200 is unthinkable for a 5.1 receiver. well my kenwood vr-407 that i payed $180 for does great. 2 titans and cc-170 in front, 2 atoms for surround. sony sa-wm40 subwoofer. medium room.. and i get any volume i want. i can go louder than anyone would actually listen and it still sounds clean. for the price its a wonderful theater system and i dont have much desire to upgrade.

the kenwoods around the same price but a couple of models higher have DPLII. the vr-407 has DD and DTS but no DPLii.

kenwood claims 100x5 watts (20hz-20khz .7% THD). the only real measurement they quote well enough to mean anything is the stereo, which is 100x2 watts min RMS 20-20khz .7%thd.

i have never had a problem in surround mode so i think it puts out a capable amount of power.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The Pioneer vsx 411 can be had at BB for $179.00. It has DD, DTS, and DPL2. The least expensive Denon is the 1602 and can be purchased if you shop carefully for around $300.00. The Denon 1802 sells for $500.00 MSRP, and can be had online for around $400.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks