Under $1K system recommendation (spkrs + recvr)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by derek, Jan 9, 2002.

1. derek

derek Second Unit

I'm going shopping with my brother tomorrow and we'll be checking out a few B&M places in the No VA/DC metro area (Best Buy, Circuit City, Myer-Emco, Audio Graffiti) looking for a home theater system receiver + speaker setup. His room is about 15' length x 12' width with one side opened fully to another room. Surrounds will probably be mounted on the rear wall where his main listening couch will be. I would think the less obtrusive/smaller speaker set would work best in the location. He currently uses a pair of large Technics tower mains...which aren't the greatest but go pretty low. I'm thinking he could just purchase a surround/center set, use the towers as mains set to large for sub/lfe until he could upgrade the mains and also get a subwoofer. This would save some $$$ for a better receiver. Any advice appreciated!

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    JBL NSP-1 ($299) speakers
    Sony SA-WM40 ($150) sub
    Kenwood VR-507 receiver.
    all but the sub are cheaper if bought online. www.jandr.com and/or www.etronics.com

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd substitute the Adire Audio Rava for the Sony. Still should be able to remain within budget.

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Derek,

A few weeks before Christmas, my brother-in-law and I went shopping for a new HT system for him and my sis. We ended up at Soundwaves here in Ohio. This is what we bought:

*2 pair of Paradigm Cinema Series sats ($148 a pair)

*1 Paradigm Cinema Series center ($135)

*1 Paradigm PDR-10 sub ($325)

*Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX receiver (B stock)($350)

*Toshiba DVD player (don't know the model number)

*All the interconnects and speaker wires (Monster)

*4 Wall mtg. brackets

After I installed this system for them, I was very impressed with the results. The Cinema Series sat. speakers were all installed on the walls with the adjustable brackets.

The items I have listed with prices above, receiver and speakers, comes to a little over $1000, but the sound is great.