What's new

Under $1000 for a receiver (1 Viewer)

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
Please help me pick a good receiver for under $1000 -- it will be used for home theater and music - 50/50.

I am now considering a Denon AVR 3802 and a Marantz 7200. Any thoughts on these products or other recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
I should have mentioned that the receiver will be driving an Energy Take 5 system with an upgraded center speaker and a rear center speaker.

Lastly, the receiver must have the two tuner feature so that I can play the HT in the house and listen to music outside.

Thanks.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Most receivers in your price range have multi-zone capability. You will need a separate 2 channel power amp for zone 2 (outside in your case) to power your speakers.

As for your choices, both are good and provide all the features you could want.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would strongly suggest the Onkyo 797. It is very good in the music section, and in HT, it is THX certified and includes THX Surround EX processing. It also has 192/24 DAC's and digital upsampling. And if you want progressive-scan component video switching, then you have no choice, the others don't have the component video bandwidth(you might want it in the future). The 797 is also the most ergonomic and easy to use. If you just want sheer numbers though, the 797 has more digital inputs, better DAC's, and more AV inputs and outputs with higher component video bandwidht, but I don't think you cna go wrong.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Marshall,

How much under $1000? Toss in another $50 or so and get the Onkyo 898. I think I've seen folks mention around here that they got it for ~$1050 from authorized etailers.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Give a good look at the Harman Kardon AVR-520.

I think it even comes with two remotes (one for the second room) and if you listen to music that much, it is a great choice.

Most of the needed "bells an whistles" as well as all the inputs and outputs.

JAC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks