What's new

Undeclared episode order? (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
The episodes of Undeclared as presented on the DVD make no sense, the continuity doesn't fit at all. Does anyone know the order they SHOULD be in?

BrianJau

Agent
I can't post the complete link, but if you go to tv.com you can see the production numbers for all the Undeclared episodes. It seems strange that they wouldn't put them in the correct order on the set, especially given the care that went into the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD set...

Aww, what the heck- because I'm a nice guy, here's the episodes in their correct order:

101 Pilot
102 So You Have a Boyfriend
103 Eric Visits
104 Jobs, Jobs, Jobs
105 Sick in the Head
106 The Assistant
107 Truth or Dare
108 Addicts
109 Eric Visits Again
110 God Visits (Never aired on FOX)
111 Parent's Weekend
112 Rush and Pledge (1)
113 Hell Week (2)
114 The Day After
115 The Perfect Date
116 Hal and Hillary
117 Eric's POV

Joel C

Screenwriter
That's the order they're in on the DVD, but they still don't make sense. For example, Eric and Lizzie break-up in Eric Visits Again, and she takes down all her pictures of him. But that's all back in God Visits. But then all gone again in Parent's Weekend, in which Steven and Lizzie are a couple (judging by the other storylines, it seems to come right after Truth or Dare.

Also, in one earlier episode (maybe Truth or Dare), a character references Eric and Lizzie breaking up before it has happened.

If I really tried, I could figure it out I guess, but it seems odd that their order on the set makes no sense.

Joel C

Screenwriter
If anyone cares, I e-mailed the Undeclared site for the "correct" order. The e-mail follows:

Yes, sadly, we made a mistake.* We are attempting to correct it for the next printing.* Hopefully you will now own a collector's item.

The order of the episodes should be as follows:

DISC 1

101 – “Pilot”
102 A*–*“Oh, So You Have a Boyfriend?”*
102B*–*“Full Bluntal Nugety”
103 – “Eric Visits”
104 – “Jobs, Jobs, Jobs”
105 – “Sick in the Head”

DISC 2

106 – “The Assistant”
108 – “Addicts”* * ** ** ** ** ** ** * *[becomes 107]
110 – “God Visits”* * ** ** ** ** ** *[becomes 108]
111 – “Parent’s Weekend”* * *[becomes 109]*
109 – “Eric Visits Again”* ** ** *[becomes 110]*
112 – “Rush and Pledge” * ** *[becomes 111]

DISC 3

113* – “Hell Week” * ** ** ** ** ** *[becomes 112]
107 – “Truth or Dare” * ** ** ** * *[becomes 113]*
114 – “The Day After”
115 – “The Perfect Date”
116 – “Hal & Hilary”
117 – “Eric’s POV”

GeoffBr

Agent
Has Shout Factory made any offers to replace the original printing with the correct order when it gets corrected? It's a real pain to have to flip between discs just to get the correct order, not to mention having to consult a list to figure out what on earth is going on.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Mine hasn't shown up in the mail yet, but thanks for getting the correct order, Joel. I will definitely want to watch the show in order (I've only ever seen two episodes: The Ferrell episode and the Sandler one). I am VERY surprised that this mistake made it all the way to the pressing. That's actually mind-boggling coming from Shout! Factory.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They put the episodes on the discs in production order and I guess they assumed that that wouldn't cause any problems. To me, there was only one episode that seems like it NEEDS to follow another but I'm sure there's a few instances that I didn't catch where an event is referred to and it hasn't happened yet. It is strange that no one caught that problem at some point.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Ouch! I hadn't picked up this set yet, but was planning to do so. Now I'm not sure if I'll go ahead and get it or if I'll want to wait for this supposed 2nd printing (and trying to figure out how to tell that on the box).

RonOlszewski

Auditioning
It's a minor inconvenience, and to be honest, I want more sets like these to be made of short-lived series, so I'll live with the inconvenience rather than demanding replacement discs.

They didn't try to lie or brush it under the rug; they basically said "We f'ed up, we're sorry." I can live with that.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I completely agree, Ron. There are bigger battles to fight. It's remarkable that someone associated with its production actually acknowleged the mistake. The fact that the network ran them in random order when originally broadcast makes this mistake even more trivial.

When other, and more serious, problems are discovered, the studio or releasing company either never responds to the problem, or blames it on the source material supplied to them by another party. Basically it's "duck and cover" and hope the complainers just go away.

Kudos to the producers of "Undeclared" for being so quick respond to the issue, and for offering an explanation and a quick "fix". I will not be pressuring them to offer replacement discs. I'd rather they put their resources into releasing more obscure quality product, with the understanding they'll be "extra" careful with these details.

If all the other studios were just half as dedicated to their product as Shout Factory, we'd have almost nothing to complain about.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the info, guys, I have added this to the review thread.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks