Undecided which Disney animation to keep collecting (Kim Possible etc),how many more?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I used to have all the clasics on VHS then bought a few on LD until DVD came along & sold my LD player & discs 5 years ago.

My kids watched the VHS tapes dozens of times over (now still aged only 7 & 9) until I sold them off 1 by 1 replacing them with DVDs as soon as Disney started releasing them.

I have gone for every one (but where they did a 1 or 2 disc, I always bought the 1 disc unless the quality was better such as Bugs Life 2 disc).

I always said I'd collect EVERY animated DVD they brought out & when they brought out Tarzan & Jane, I decided to get it even though it was just 3 of the Tarzan TV episodes but I drew a line & decided against the sing alongs.

I replaced Peter Pan when they brought out the new Spec Ed but I'm undecided whether to do this again with the few that have just been announced/rumored.

I am now in a position I can't decide over Kim Possible as there could be dozens of TV programmes they could do this with.

I would like all the old stuff on DVD which they used to do on VHS such as Duck Tales, Chip N Dale & Mini Classics etc and I'm just about to get the 3 Brave Little Toasters.

I suppose what I'm asking is how many more TV series are they likely to bunch episodes together as one offs and would they stand up in years to come as valid Disney animation.

2. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

Kim Possible is the only one I would bother with animation wise, personally. Cleverly written and highest production values to my eyes.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Definetly pick up Kim Possible. I have to admit Disney is getting better with their series release, but from my point of you, well, look how long it's taking to get Gargoyles.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Kim Possible looks worth the purchase.

Having said that, I should point out that the view into the distance from the horizon is that Disney is going to dump (keep that word in mind) onto the market loads and loads more of stuff like "Tarzan & Jane" in the future.

Many say that "Stitch! The Movie" is one such item. I don't have a personal opinion about that, as I didn't watch it myself (was working on this week's Roundup, actually), but my kid loved the film and I walked into the credit rolling and him dancing to the music over those credits. "Did you like the movie?" "YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH! It was fun, Daddy!" Hey, THAT is my only measure of whether a kidvid was worth it: did the target audience in my house enjoy the thing? [​IMG]

In the end, I'm saying that if you are buying these for you, for collecting purposes, then I would advise you to start being more discriminating and pick and choose what you want to put in that collection. Otherwise you fall into that "parents and collectors" category that Disney accountants love most of all, and they actually aim these low-budget DTV crap at. Because guys like you and I sit there with the word "sucker" stamped on our foreheads. [​IMG]

I've backed off the "collect all Disney" mentality, and I advise you to do so as well. Heck, I bet even LukeB has done so, unless he needs everything for his Ultimate Disney site! [​IMG]

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

The only stuff in my disney collection are the platinum titles, and some of the o.o.p. stuff. The direct to dvd stuff in my opinion [​IMG] .

6. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Thanks for your input guys, I fall in the parents & collectors category so everything would get multiple viewings.

I don't mind the made for video stuff, it's just the TV episodes that will be rerun for years & the series seem to go out of favor when a new one comes along whereas feature length stuff seem to have lasting appeal.

If they did complete series, on the other hand (like Nick are doing Spongebob Squarepants), then I'd get them as you fell like you have something complete, a part of TV history.

With the 2 Recess titles coming up, I've decided against these sort of things and I asked the girls if they care about Kim & they weren't bothered either way.

Roll on the Mini Classics!!!