What's new

Undecided, need some help please! (1 Viewer)

Jimmy-J

Auditioning
I am looking for some information and advice on a home theater setup. I have $4500 to spend and need to buy a RPTV, new DVD player, and possibly a new surround receiver.
On the TV I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi WS-55511 with the intergrated HDTV, that way I won’t have to buy an additional HDTV receiver. But I am curious about the LCD RPTV’s. Is their a 55” LCD RPTV with the same features as the Mits. Is a CRT better than the LCD? I will mainly use this set for DVD’s over the air HDTV signals and possibly hook my computer to it. What I don’t understand is why this TV has to be calibrated. Its brand new why should it be, is this something expensive and will Mitsubishi cover this?

On to the DVD player, I now have a Hitachi DV-P303. It’s a piece of crap. First week out of the box it was in for a 3-month repair. So I don’t want another Hitachi, or anything with Sony’s name on it. I am looking at Mitsubishi DD-8030, is this a good DVD player? Does JVC make a DVD player equivalent to the DD-8030? I would like to keep all of the components the same brand as I already have a JVC RX-9010V. Which I had bought some months ago to hook up to my computer with 2 15’s, 2 12’s, and a three-piece center set. But that’s another story. Does Mitsubishi make a quality receiver for my application or should I just use my JVC.

So in short will a Mitsubishi WS-55511 work well with the Mitsubishi DD-8030 DVD player and the JVC RX-9010V receiver (or a different model).
I know I have left some stuff out, so if you think of something please let me know.

Thank you for your replies and comments.

Rick Sullivan

Auditioning
"So I don’t want another Hitachi, or anything with Sony’s name on it."

My understanding is that Hitachi has their products built in Korea (by Samsung?), how does this involve Sony?
Just curious.
Rick

Jimmy-J

Auditioning
Everything that I have owned that had Sony's name on has torn up in the first year of me owning it.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Calibrating a tv is not something that any manufacturer will cover, infact it will void your warranty depending on the calibration you get done.

a calibration needs to be done for a number of reason, the first is that your viewing conditions are different form everyone elses, so you will need to adjust for things like your room lighting and the paint on the walls, even the shape of your furniture and walls believe it or not. that is why you willw ant to use avia or some other disc to get the picture lookign decent.

then there is the option of an ISF calibration, this will bring out the best your set has to offer, they will make sure your grey scale is correct as well as many other things, this will cost you several hundred dollars if you get it done. the reason this is not laready done on your tv when you get it is for a few reasons, 1 if the factory ISF'd all tvs before they left it would jump up the cost of tv's by several hundred dollars. No they cannot just ISF one and copy the settings over to other tv's because manufacturing tolerences come into effect making that useless, indeed they may actually do just that, but then most of those tv's would still need to be calibrated agian to compensate for the differences in each set. And the third thing i would imagine is that who would want to keep a few hundred ISf calibrationists on staff to ahve them calibrating tv's as they come off the line? hell who would want to do that job, im sure they guys would get bored of it quickly and the work would suffer, so enthusiasts would still go and get it calibrated once they bought it.

bottom line is it just would not work, and its not necessary. 90% of the people out there still buy a tv because its big or it fits in their room or whatever reason, the extra performance form a proper calibration dosent bother them.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I got mine at www.absound.ca i dont think you will find many places locally that will sell it, but it depends on where you live. you might even be able to find a place to rent it. but its worth buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks