"Undead" Feature & DVD - Worth it?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Harvey, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

I can't find reviews for the movie Undead anywhere, so I must ask . . . is this movie worth picking up? And if so, how well done is the DVD? The Aussie zombie movie was just released to DVD within the past few weeks.

2. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I just rented UNDEAD last night and found it to be a lot of fun. It's reminiscent of the early Peter Jackson movies like BRAINDEAD (aka DEAD ALIVE). If you're a zombie fan I definitely reccommend it, and it's a great showcase for what a creative pair of filmmakers can do on a low-budget (this was shot in Super-16, then transfered to HD where all of the post-production work was done, with many of the digital effects created by the directors themselves!).

I haven't checked out the extra features yet, but the film itself is well worth checking out, and I've read that the extras are pretty neat, too.

Vincent

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I'll have to disagree with the above poster.

I'm a HUGE zombie fan and I thought "Undead" was utter crap. Sorry but any zombie movie dealing with ALIENS
    runs it right there and then for me. Acting was crap, special effects looked pretty bad, etc. No amount of great bonus features would make this movie worthwhile, even as a rental.

If you want comedic zombies, stick with "Shaun of the Dead."

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I didn't like UNDEAD at all, for basically what Michael above wrote. Didn't jell for me.

5. Doug Graham

Doug Graham Extra

I thought it had a couple fun gore moments but was generally awful, and I'm a huge sucker for this type of movie. Peter Jackson's early stuff was way better. I mean, even Bad Taste had a better plot than this. Rent before you buy.

6. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Actually, I'd say stick with THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, which may be the greatest "comedic" horror movie ever made and is WAY better than the incredibly over-rated SHAUN OF THE DEAD, but I digress...

I guess it's different strokes for different folks in this case. I enjoyed the inventive UNDEAD quite a bit, which is more than I can say for SHAUN OF THE DEAD, the epitome of a film sold (and inexplicably loved) on hype alone if there ever was one IMO.

Vincent

7. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

ROTLD is dated, IMO. As for "Shaun of the Dead" being overrated, it's on up in the British comedy pantheon. "Undead" is very unique, and a lot of fun.

8. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I would hardly call it unique. Maybe unique in that it is one of several horror films recently that failed to connect with audiences simply because for every few decent ones you get, you get one that is simply awful. Bad writing, story, effects, acting, and basically a low budget film made by amateurs that felt they could inject something new to the zombie remaking craze of late. Well they injected it alright, and made me fall asleep.

It is basically every other zombie film combined except with bad acting and poor effects (the make-up doesnt even compare to Romero's early efforts), except set in Austraila and featuring a sci fi twist to it that took me out of the story and was simply uninteresting.

I found Undead to be quite boring and uneventful. It had a handful of decent moments, but the F/X work is very poor, the acting (and some of the actors) very annoying, and the plot and story is basically a recylce of any previous zombie/horror film you can name. I thought it would be entertaining after watching the first 20 minutes or so, but afterward I was actually bored by what I was seeing, and I rarely get bored in a film unless it is something pretty bad.

I would recommend High Tension as a rent/buy over this one, or stick to the many other zombie films that are so much better, i.e., Dawn of the Dead (either version) 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, or any number of others (havent seen Land of the Dead yet, but it looks 10 times better than this one). As far as this one goes, it it perhaps the weakest zombie film I have seen in almost every aspect of film making. It is certainly low budget film and it shows all too much. The action scenes (if you call them that) are not only improbable but silly and pointless. I thought from the previwes that this would be a sleepr hit that would gain some following on DVD, but I think it will die once again like it did in theaters.

Trust me, if you value your intellect and your time, youy would rent or buy something more worthwhile than this film. Even many zombie movie fans were turned off by this, simply because if adds nothing new to the genre, except to be an example of how not to make a zombie film. I do give credit to the direcoting brothers who made this, but there talents need much refining, especially in the directing and effects depts. I would rent it simply to get a laugh out of how bad it really is, and then not watch it again and not reccomend it to a friend, unless he was someone I didn't like, and I wanted him to feel like he wasted his time just like me.

Even for a low budget effort, the effects simply didnt work for me, and when you look at what Danny Boyle accomplished with 28 days later, Undead simpyl looks liek a cheesy rip off. Granted Boyle ripped off Romero and every other zombie flick to that point, but at least made the film compelling and interesting. At least thats how I saw it.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Why do people say that as if it were a bad thing? I'll never understand that. Plenty of classic films are "dated", but that doesn't keep them from being great films.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Oh man, thanks for reminding me about ROTLD! I have that one buried somewhere in my DVD collection and haven't watched it yet, and with Halloween only a little more than a week off!

BRAINS!

11. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I know many people won't agree with me, but I think Return of the Living Dead is one of the greatest zombie movies of all time. Easily in the top five.

Anyway, I'm surprised so many people don't like Undead. I've heard good buzz before it got released here. I'm still going to give this one a rent.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Count me in as one of the one who DOES agree with you. [​IMG]

13. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

Well I agree with you!

14. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I guess i should have corrected myself in regards to the zombie/undead thing in 28, it just has some similarities.
    It more closely follows a post apocalyptic film with society falling apart on every level.

15. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

I enjoyed Return of the Living Dead, and thought Shaun of the Dead was alright (not great). So I would be better inclined to give Undead a rental? I think I'll do that. A store offered to order it in for me, but I hesitated and said that I'd look around a bit more. Maybe that was a sign. Now, if I can find a store that rents videos for two or three bucks, we're in business . . .

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Can everyone please stop using the Z-ed word!

[​IMG]

17. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

I really liked "Undead." The way I see it, "Undead" was like Sam Raimi and John Woo went down to Australia and made a zombie flick. This was a very fun movie. It's at least worth a rent.

18. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

It's a zombie movie, I hardly think there's much intellect to invest in it to begin with. "Undead" is indeed very unique and original execution, if not premise. It's a melding of two different genres, outing the science fiction element that is underlying in every single zombie movie ever made, making it interesting. I found the special effects to be quite impressive, given the budget. It was hokey fun; as if anyone's "critique" of these kinds of movies really holds any weight when they're purposely flawed.

It's not for everyone, granted, but I believe it deserves a rent.