What's new

UNCUT movies on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Nope, just listen to the commentary on the DVD. Verhoeven had a terrible time getting an R-rating with the MPAA. Several places he points out scenes that were (and still) cut and mentions how the MPAA made him trim, snip, and cut until they found it suitable. Same thing with Robocop (except Robocop is actually available uncut).

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
The thing is Jeff the uncut DVD of Caligula is not uncut. I distinctly remember one particular sex scene that I saw in the theater that was not on this dvd. Maybe it is in the supplements, I haven't had a chance to view them.
DeanR, which scene was this? Have not viewed the "uncut" version of the movie completely yet, but when I think of how difficult it was to get this and its not as advertised??? :angry:

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe an uncut print of Total Recall could not be found for the DVD release or Verhoeven didn't want the extra gore added. I'm assuming this because Artisan has released unrated movies in the past.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Barry, I 100% remember a scene were a girl is deep throating a guy for maybe a minute
. It is not in uncut version.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I have a scene like that on my DVD, toward the end of the orgy. It's a long scene too, and I like how it ended.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Jeff,

This might explain things if accurate.

From imdb.com:

Even though the new dvd (at 156mins) is totally uncut, the laserdisc version (at 148mins unedited and unrated)) still features different scenes then the dvd version of the film. The laserdisc shows more of the freak show we see when Malcom McDowel first meets Peter O'Toole (among other things throughout the film).

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Can someone clear a few things up for me regarding the music in "Eyes Wide Shut"?

I love the film to death, but I never got to see it in the theater, so I'm only familiar with the DVD versions of it. I've always particularly loved the chanting and music during the "orgy" sequence. Is the music for this sequence different on the DVD versions than it was in the theater? Is it different between different DVDs around the world? I have the R1 DVD as well as the unedited R3 version, and they sound identical to my ear.

What exactly was changed? Was some of the chanting removed? Was it replaced?

There are definitely some titles I would like to see in their uncut (or extended) form on (region 1) DVD.
Superman II - I still have my video copy I taped off ABC waaaaaaay back in the 80's. While the extra footage wouldn't necessarily have to be inserted in the film itself (some of the new scenes are distracting or just plain annoying), it would be nice to have them included in a "deleted scenes" section.
Waterworld - Taped the extended version off of WAM! last year. Again, a deleted scenes section would be nice, although I do like this version better than the standard one.
Godzilla (1954 version) - This one would be great for a 2-disc release, since the US and Japanese versions have substantial differences (US has added footage of Raymond Burr, Japan has ~30 minutes of footage missing from the US version).
Anthropopagus (aka The Grim Reaper) - A Joe D'amato flick, perfect for one of the cult/specialty companies to pick up (Anchor Bay, perhaps?) The US version has completely different music and removes most of the gore.
Emmanuelle in America - Another cult favorite from Joe D'amato. Whichever company releases this one uncut in the US should be given the "Brass Balls" award, since it features some seriously strong (but fake) "snuff" footage (as well as a scene with a woman masturbating a horse!).
Videodrome - The TV version includes extra scenes, as well as alternate versions of others (like the ride in the limo). A deleted scenes section would do fine, since not all of the extra material works (except for the alternate opening, which is downright creepy).
The Magnificent Ambersons - Alright, so getting this one uncut on ANY format would require nothing short of an act of God (or a time travelling DeLorean), but I can still dream, can't I? :)
Once Upon A Time In America - I remember reading somewhere that the Italian TV version had ~20 minutes if extra footage re-inserted. Assuming this info is true, I'd really like to have it included (in a "deleted scenes" section), since this is one of my favorite films of all time. Incidentally, I wouldn't mind for the "short" version to also be included as an extra (ala Brazil 3-disc Criterion), since it would be a great visual demonstration of the Art of Money Minded Butchery.
A Better Tomorrow II - John Woo has stated that the film was originally 3 hours long, but was cut down to meet the distributor's requests. This would definitely explain why the film seems so rushed and disjointed to me. Alas, it's questionable whether or not a complete print even exists anymore...
Alien 3 & Resurrection - After the excellent DVD editions of the first two films in the series, I was bitterly disappointed at the piss poor releases for these films. Alien 3 had all sorts of re-shoots and scenes cut just before release. The print used in test screenings for Alien Resurrection reportedly clocked in at nearly two and a half hours. Two perfect examples of missed opportunities.
Now I'll address a few things in this thread.
Nightbreed - I could have sworn I read (on this forum, natch) that the upcoming DVD release was going to feature the uncut version. Can anyone confirm this?
Hard Target - Oddly enough, one of the local Mom-and-Pop video stores had VHS copies of the 116 minute version for sale a while back, one of which I snagged for myself. The cover art is black and white and there are time-codes running at the top of the screen during the film, so I'm assuming it's a bootleg. I can say the extra 20 minutes are definitely NOT all violence, although there definitely IS more of that. The finale shootout (tracked with James Horner's music from Aliens) is far more intense. However, most of the new footage is dialog. Also, Woo's style was more or less left untouched in the final release version. The only extra "Woo-isms" I noticed were flashbacks to previous events in the film. Also, I suppose the temp music could be considered Woo's style, since it has a moody jazz flavor (think Hard Boiled). Definitely much better than the wailing honky-tonk guitar crap in the release version. If Universal (or whoever owns the rights) ever decides to release this version legitimately, I'll be first in line as it's much better than the standard one.
-RJ Fielder

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Unless my memory is playing horrible tricks on me, Kubrick did not write the music for Eyes Wide Shut, and the person who did (Jocelyn Pook?) was embarrassed and mortified to find out the meaning and significance of the text they had lifted for the chant.
... and unless my memory plays tricks on me, Kubrick did present the final cut of the movie before he died. As director, he would have the last call on what music should be used, regardless of who wrote it.

--Anders

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I saw a quote by Kubrick's Daughter saying that before he died he did not know that the text would offend anyone when he chose the music and that he would have been the first to choose a different text had it been known that it was sacred and offensive to some people in the films context. She also went on to say unless you were familiar with the text before seeing the film you would not notice a difference between the new and the old. To my ears this is the case having seen the film twice in theaters when it was released, the the DVD seems like the exact same film.
kd

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is caligula unrated oop?

i thought it was.

but it is in stock at amazon, dvdplanet and several other etailors rite now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks