UNCUT movies on DVD.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Pelham, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

It seems to me like there is a good market for seeing movies that were originally trimmed to avoid an "X" or "NC-17" rating fully uncut on DVD. More recent films are getting special unrated editions, but I think DVD provides a great opportunity to re-edit some older movies that have never before been seen fully uncut.
    Robocop is a good example. The only way to see it was by bad workprint bootlet videos until Criterion got ahold of it. Also uncut versions of American Pie 1, American Psycho, Basic Instinct, Original Sin, etc. It's getting so popular to have "unrated" attached to a DVD that even movies that were never trimmed are just sticking extra stuff in there and slapping an unrated on the cover (Pitch Black, Van Wilder, Sweetest Thing, Road Trip, etc.)
    That's why I'm surprised some of the more notoriously cut movies aren't available on DVD yet. I would really LOVE to see uncut versions of:
    Hard Target - Something like 20 minute of violence were cut for an R rating.
    Hardware
    Total Recall - almost every violent scene was heavily cut
    Scream - one version of the VHS in uncut but mistakenly labeled R.
    Friday the 13th parts 1,2,3,5,6,7, and 8
    Nightmare on Elm Street 5
    Menace to Society - Would like to see uncut, including the infamous "prison riot" scene
    Eyes Wide Shut
    The Burning (1981)
    Nightbreed
    Phantasm II and III
    My Bloody Valentine - finally being released by Paramount, but in the toned-down R rated cut [​IMG]
    Cherry Falls
    Valentine
    and those are just a few off the top of my head. I don't think any of those movies are available uncut in any format (except for Nightmare and Scream), so wouldn't it make sense for studios to re-edit and re-release them? With uncut Monster's Ball, Resident Evil, and Last House on the Left all coming out it seems to be getting better, but what about all the other, older movies?

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

3. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

American Pie 1 unrated was worst than the R-rated.

4. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

The laser disc (DD & DTS) version of Scream was uncut.
    The Jap. R2 NTSC DVD of Eyes Wide Shut is uncut.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

All video versions of Eyes Wide Shut have the music censored during the orgy scene.

6. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

7. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

8. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

9. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Just out of curiosity, what is the sacred text spoken in this scene?

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The Bhagavad Gita. I can't believe that Kubrick, meticulous as he was, made no inquiry as to what the lyrics of the piece were.

11. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I'm not familiar with this chant, though I thought it played well in Eyes Wide Shut. What are the lyrics?

12. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I've never heard of it, either, so I looked it up:

13. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Shame and embarrassment??!! That doesn't make any sense, why would anyone feel ashamed of chanting? And since this "Bhagavad-Gita" isn't a religion and doesn't apply to any one particular group, I highly doubt anyone would be offended. It was probably changed because Kubrick couldn't get the rights to it.

14. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

No, it's not a religion, any more than the Bible or the Koran is a religion. But, from the limited amount I have read about it, it seems to be just as important to the Krishna religion as the other books are to their respective religions. I didn't say that the Bhagavad-Gita was a religion, just that talking about it might be misinterpreted by some as having a religious discussion.

15. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I think the best uncut movie for DVD is Caligula, but the video transer could have been better.

16. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    The thing is Jeff the uncut DVD of Caligula is not uncut. I distinctly remember one particular sex scene that I saw in the theater that was not on this dvd. Maybe it is in the supplements, I haven't had a chance to view them.

17. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I have a movie on the tip of my head that appears UNCUT as it has been since 1995 and that film is Steven Spielberg's "1941". I saw the theatrical cut when I was about 4 on HBO and at the time, I didn't know it was a Spielberg film because I never thought about that. I always had that image of the ending always stuck in my head. The director's cut, which I first saw on DVD, improves so much on the original version and adds depth to the character of Wally, who was always my favorite character in the theatrical version. Even though it makes the movie a little overlong, the scenes it adds make the film just a bit more fun and a little less chaotic than the original 2-hour cut.

BTW, if you think the original cut is long gone, you're wrong. Everytime the film plays on one of the HBO channels, it appears in its original thatrical cut.

18. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Standard R-rated version? Verhoeven trimmed it down for some foreign markets (including Australia) but kept all the violence (and some variant, gorier takes) for the American R-rated release. If you compare the Australian M-rated version to the American R-rated one, the Stateside variant is much more violent, and a lot gorier. Maybe the workprint had some additional gory stuff in it again (not unsual for any director) but did Verhoeven do a final mix on that lengthier version, have it scored and complete the post on it? Not from what I've heard. In this instance, I think that extra-extra-long 'uncut version' would have had to exist in its entirety before fans could justifiably mourn its absence. Every TOTAL RECALL censorship story I've heard has revolved around Verhoeven toning the film down for the British and Australian theatrical releases. I've always felt that the R-rated edition was the full deal, but if others have info that indicates differently, feel free to add it.