What's new

Uncut Gems (2019) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched this yesterday for the first time- my take is the attitude is more defined than the plot.
This film is chock-full of attitude. Sandler is good, but I can understand why he and the film were overlooked at the Oscars- his character was ugly, and the polarizing nature of the film is a bit of a turn off. Overall, I liked it.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Just watched Uncut Gems for the first time (on Blu). This was an incredibly good film, and featured what is probably Sandler's best performance. Truly amazing. Really liked the frenetic/manic style, the NYC setting, etc.

When watching the film, I half-expected that the Sandler character would lose all of his money & end up getting killed at the end by the violent bookies/creditors. However, I did not see him winning over $1 million (by betting on the basketball game) and still getting killed by these people....though this actual ending should have come as no surprise, either.

The techno/electronic dance tune playing over the closing credits was superb: Gigi D'Agostino's I'll Fly with you. Brilliant song selection here; and, even though I don't ever remember hearing it before - it's quickly become one of my favorite songs.

Big fan of the SB, especially of their previous film - Good Time.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Uncut Gems for the first time (on Blu). This was an incredibly good film, and featured what is probably Sandler's best performance. Truly amazing. Really liked the frenetic/manic style, the NYC setting, etc.

When watching the film, I half-expected that the Sandler character would lose all of his money & end up getting killed at the end by the violent bookies/creditors. However, I did not see him winning over $1 million (by betting on the basketball game) and still getting killed by these people....though this actual ending should have come as no surprise, either.

The techno/electronic dance tune playing over the closing credits was superb: Gigi D'Agostino's I'll Fly with you. Brilliant song selection here; and, even though I don't ever remember hearing it before - it's quickly become one of my favorite songs.

Big fan of the SB, especially of their previous film - Good Time.

regarding the spoiler it was kind of out of left field, but probably the only way it really could have ended. My gripe with the film is that a lot of people talk about how stress inducing it is, but I’m not sure I see it. Sandler’s problems in that movie were all of his own making. everything that happens to him is his own fault. I’m trying to think of a good example of a movie with a basically good character that something happens that spirals out of control. One that comes to mind is the guy that Giovanni Ribisi sells worthless stock to in “Boiler Room”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks