"Unclean" power for computer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I just finished moving to my new apartment, and finished hooking everything and wiring all my goodies. Everything is perfect except for the fact that everytime I turn on or off the light switch to the bathroom light, or turn on my flourecent desk lamp, I get a funny snapping sound from my computer's speakers, and the picture on my monitor flickers.

Does anybody know what this could be cause by?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I bet there are people in here more skilled in electromagnetics than me, but I believe this is caused by a voltage drop when your turn on the other equipment. Again I'm guessing a little here, but I think it's because you are very close to the maximum capacity of your installation.
    You will need an item which I do not know the english word for (and I'm too tired to go search for it right now [​IMG]), but I'm sure someone else does... It's a box that "streamlines" the power, and eliminates voltage variations, and you can get it at most electronics stores.
    EDIT: Yeah, power regulator, that's it! [​IMG]

3. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

A power regulator from Monster Cable or Richard Grey Power Company would work. Anything to regulate line voltage and suppress ripples and spikes that cause this kind of behavior will work.
    Look around and check some out.

4. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

You might have a loose connection on your neutral wire, or maybe even the hot one. First place to check is at the electrical panel and make sure all the neutrals are tight. Get someone, preferrably an electrician, to help you if you're not comfortable with messing around in the panel.
    Another thing you can try is getting a heavy duty extension cord and plugging your computer into an outlet that you know is not part of the same circuit...see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then you know the problem is isolated to just that circuit.
    Also, if you have a GFI breaker in the bathroom, make sure it works. They can get a bit flaky sometimes, and could contribute to your problem.

JL

5. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. I did one fix though, the flickering of the monitor because of my flourecent light was an issue of my monitor's refresh rate. As for the popping sounds, I'm going to try all you suggestions.

Thanks again,
    Chris

6. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

By any chance, is the bathroom fan also turning on/off with the bathroom light? I wouldn't expect a light to cause trouble, but a fan could.

-JNS

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If the only issue is the computer, you can also just use a cheap UPS.