What's new

"Uncle" Milte a/k/a Mr. Television Dies at 93 (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
From MSNBC.com

Milton Berle dead

Comedian was 93

Comedian had colon cancer

No other news at this time.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
March 27, 2002

Comedian Milton Berle Dies at 93

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES -- Milton Berle, the acerbic, cigar-smoking vaudevillian who eagerly embraced a new medium and became "Mr. Television" in the dawn of the video age, died Wednesday, a spokesman said. He was 93.

Berle died at 2:45 p.m. at his home after a lengthy illness, publicist Warren Cowan said. Berle's wife, Lorna, and several family members were at his side.

Berle had been under hospice care for the past few weeks. He had been diagnosed with colon cancer last year.

"He was responsible for the television set in your home today," Cowan said. "He put television on the map."

"Uncle Miltie" was the king of Tuesday nights, and store owners put up signs: "Closed tonight to watch Milton Berle." The program's popularity spurred sales of television sets and helped make the new technology a medium for the masses.

At 8 p.m., four Texaco service attendants sang the "Texaco Star Theater" theme, and then came Berle, dressed for boffs: a caveman introduced as "the man with jokes from the Stone Age"; a man in a barrel "who had just paid his taxes."

If the audience thought he looked funny in a dress, Berle was happy to oblige. Skits in drag became a trademark.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Yeah..I JUST saw this on Drudge! Uncle Miltie....damn..first Dudley now this.

The last time I can recall a one/tow punch like this was 1990 with Sammy Davis Jr and Jim Hensin.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Milton is the last of the great comedians to come out of vaudeville in the 20s. I can think of, off hand, Jack Benny, George Burns, the Marx Brothers. JImmy Durante, George Jessel and Henny Youngman. They all made the transition to radio, then films (some of them) and finally television. (Only Bob Hope survives from this era.) They told jokes, did sketches and never uttered a four letter word. A time not to be repeated again. :frowning:

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What a sad day for such funny guys. The world is much worse off without them and their humor.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Few comics of his legendary status left; we now have Bob Hope at nearly 100 as the last of the special breed of comic whose life spanned from vaudeville to DVD....

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
I honestly thought MB would outlive all of us. Any word on when his wonderfully tacky role as Good Time Eddie Filth in the '69 Anthony Newley film, "Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Hummpe And Find True Happiness?" may be released on DVD? Connie Kreski would be worth the price of admission

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator
Nooooooooo!!
Uncle Miltie was such an awesome person onstage and off. His ability to laugh at himself was one of his most endearing qualities. He brought so much joy and laughter into so many lives.........

:frowning:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Milton Berle was one of the few true legends of comedy, and he'll definitely be missed. May he rest in peace.
First Dudley Moore and now this... what an incredibly sad day. :frowning:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Berle was hilarious. I loved all of his comedy schticks. Vaudville guys had the best timing and delivery, IMO.

Man, I'm going to really be bummed when Hope goes which could be soon at his age.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing an original episode of THE MOD SQUAD where Mr. Berle did drama for a change. He was marvelous in this episode. Surprisngly, this episode is not listed on the IMDB. He may have done other dramatic works as well, but I am not sure of this. Some comedians are quite capable of doing great drama. Two examples that have done great drama "off of my head" IMO in the realm of Mr. Berle are Robin Williams and Jerry Lewis.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moderator's note: I've merged the two threads on Milton Berle. One was in Movies, and one was in TV. Given Uncle Miltie's pioneering role in the history of television, this seemed the right place to leave the merged thread.
M.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
A potential epitaph:

"He just went sailing out there..."

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks