Uncensored 1920s Disney - on VHS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherM, Sep 7, 2001.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Feb 8, 2001
    I've already posted this news under the current "Hunchback" thread, but I think that it deserves a thread of its own...
    According http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/ , a forthcoming Disney video release entitled "The Hand Behind the Mouse: The Ub Iwerks Story" includes never before seen archival footage and previously censored cartoon clips from the 1920s, not to mention "Plane Crazy" and "Steamboat Willie".
    Unfortunately this is currently slated for VHS, with no mention of a DVD release.
    Perhaps this will turn up as part of a future "Treasures" set? In any case, at least its another sign that Disney may be moving towards releasing previously censored material in "non-kids" collector's packaging.
  2. Bruce F

Bruce F Agent

Sep 20, 2000
    Reading the story, I got the impression that the "previously cencored" works weren't of the type that the internet community have been up in arms about. My reading was more that they were censored because they weren't high enough quality.
    Having said that, it is plain that it is only my interpretation, and that the text of the article isn't clear.
    I would certainly welcome releases from Disney in a more "adult" format that would cover some of the items they have censored, and an analysis (perhaps Ken Burns could do the documentary?) of why they were made, what the prevailing opinions were, and how they've changed.
    To be sure, I'd want it as a documentary, so that people understand that the stuff that was censored was wrong, and why the company felt it should do it. But to have the uncensored footage avaliable along with some serious analysis and explanation would be most welcome by many collectors, I think.
    Just my 2 pence.