What's new

Unbelievable! I was Misquoted by T.K. Arnold in Video Store Magazine!!! (1 Viewer)

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
This is the kind of support, notice we need to fight against Pan & Scan. Media Coverage, that´s very good...

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
I don´t know Mr Arnold, something you can use on your OAR article are the sales of Mummy Returns.
Even with the banning from larger stores like Wal Mart and the rental giant Blockbuster, the OAR (widescreen version) manage to get the bigger part of the pie...
Sorry for the double post

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I guess we now know why some people who are in the news all the time have come to mistrust the media. It shows an author can make a quote fit any thesis.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It sounds like the writer simply confused your comments on the equipment and your comments on the software. Go easy; it's amazing how willing he sounds to fix things- as with a lot of others, my experience is that "journalists" write what they want, and simply twist their sources to support what they want to say.
And as far as your equipment goes. . .my 31" TV DAMN WELL IS a home theater, and you're only going to see OAR programming on it! (Well, except for Purple Rain, which I got for the music. :) 1 out of 650 ain't so bad!)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I got an additional note from T.K. this morning:
If any studio wants to put out a modified version of a feature, that's their business. But the Original Presentation should also be made avialable as well. OAR, original soundtrack, etc. A recent discussion at HTF is the rumor that MGM *created* a THX-approved widescreen master for "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" at the time the released the fullscreen-only DVD, years ago. They have no plans to release an OAR version of CCBB, even though a significant number of us won't touch the current DVD edition because it is MAR-only. At an online chat a while back they said "perhaps in 2002", but now those ideas seem to have backpedaled...it's not being worked on it the latest scoop. Sigh. A beloved classic, that I wouldn't mind showing to my son, and to me it's just not available. Why won't I break down and buy the current disc? Well, let me repeat this: NO OAR = NO SALE.
On a related note, the upcoming DVD for "The Grinch" has a trailer on it for the re-release in theaters next spring of "E.T. - The Extraterrestrial". In the trailer it is obvious that Steven Spielberg has made good on his threats to use CGI to replace the puppet/robot ET with a computer-generated one (and in a couple of cases Elliot seems to be replaced as well!). Worse, he has retro-fitted the film to remove all the guns the Federal Agents hold (but never fire) and replace them with what look like either walkie-talkies or old-style cell phones.
If Spielberg wants to go back and use CGI to "modernize" and "politically correct" his old films, like his buddy George Lucas did with the Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions in 1997-98, then fine. But - through the magic of DVD - at LEAST put out the ORIGINAL versions of these beloved films. You know, the versions that everyone fell in love with in the first place, and earned these guys lots of awards and money? Why change history now?
Sigh. Off my soapbox. Listen, if you want to use any of this rant in a story, okay. But at least let me know first, and tell me how to find it "in print" (even if that means on-line only). All right? Thanks,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Another response from T.K.:
Those CGI changes are a whole other story--I agree with you that they really shouldn't mess with these films. I hadn't heard about the ET changes--I think that's absolutely terrible.
I think what the studios and everyone else needs to do in regard to OAR is educate the public, from the store level on. Ads in magazines and on TV should stress the fact that "DVD gives you the chance to see the movie the way you did in theaters." I think consumers who complain about "black bars" simply don't get it, or are so used to watching full screen that all of a sudden they are upset over a "smaller" picture on their 18-inch Zenith. Somehow word needs to get out that with pan-and-scan they are missing a huge chunk of the picture.
laugh.gif
He doesn't miss a trick, does he?
I told him we've had those thoughts here at HTF, and he was welcome to come by anytime to discuss them with us.
Cheers,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks